Reinstalling a generator

Povertycove

I probably should have asked this question before removing the generator on my 11B, but is there any trick to reinstalling a generator? A very experienced fellow I know has filled me with anxiety about removal/ reinstallation of the generator, fearing that it might upset the timing so badly that the engine could be seriously damaged. The manual says that reinstallation is pretty straight- forward, and that retiming the engine should not be necessary. Anything to worry about here?

Also, I noticed when taking the damaged generator out, that the adjustment was at the maximum, and yet still felt fairly loose. Again, anything to worry about here?

I probably should have asked this question before removing the generator on my 11B, but is there any trick to reinstalling a generator? A very experienced fellow I know has filled me with anxiety about removal/ reinstallation of the generator, fearing that it might upset the timing so badly that the engine could be seriously damaged. The manual says that reinstallation is pretty straight- forward, and that retiming the engine should not be necessary. Anything to worry about here?

Also, I noticed when taking the damaged generator out, that the adjustment was at the maximum, and yet still felt fairly loose. Again, anything to worry about here?

As I recall it is pretty simple to reinstall a generator, but there are two very big things to watch out for. Removing the generator alone should not change the timing since the generator drive gear stays in place AS LONG AS you keep the generator mounting plate in place on the crankcase. If you remove the generator mounting plate, the drive gear will fall off into the engine, and if you turn the crank at all, you could mess up timing. If the chain remains on the cam gear and crankshaft gear, it should not throw it off, though. But by this time you need to take either the oil pan off, or the front cheek piece to retrieve the gear.

The other big thing is that the generator drive spline fits into that gear, upon which the timing chain rides. That generator drive spline must nest itself into the gear. If you just shove the generator in place and then begin to tighten the bolts which hold it on, AND if that splined shaft is not nested into the gear, you will push the gear through the front face plate or "cheek piece" of the engine crankcase. Don Kitchin, of all people (which says that it can happen to any of us) , tells the story in an old issue of ACN (number 66, page 29) how he didn't check to be sure he had that spline into the gear and busted the front of his engine.

If you are at the limit of adjustment on the chain, it's probably because your chain is fully stretched out. The car will run, but the chain will flop around, and if bad enough could jump a tooth, throwing your timing off. Best to get a new chain.

Last I knew, new timing chains for at least Series 10 and 11 could be had from Jeff Hasslen. If is out, he could probably suggest where to find one.

--Scott Dwyer

1914 Series 5 Touring

1924 Series 10-B Sedan

Thanks, Scott. I'll be breathing heavily this week, getting the splines to nest. I see what us involved now.

alex

When the splines "nest" properly, you'll know it. You should be able to slide the generator completely in, right up to the crankcase, with no resistance. If you can't, just rotate the generator splines a bit until it goes "klunk" and falls into place.

The problem comes when people think the resistance is normal and they force the generator in. Once you do it, you'll see what I mean. And it is very easy.

--Scott