1926 Chrysler G-70 Timing

Hi,

Are there any timing marks on the flywheel or crankshaft pulley for timing the '26 Chrysler G-70 engine?

I have the instructions from the manual that uses the #6 cylinder at TDC, bit the pipe plug for access to the top of the piston is damaged and I can't remove it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

post-30916-143142413088_thumb.jpg

If by damaged you mean corners rounded off there may be a way to remove it. I have had success in such cases, by taking a socket wrench extension, either 1/4" or 3/8" as appropriate, turning it around backwards, and driving it over the damaged plug. To unscrew it you need an 8 point or 12 point socket that will go over the other end of the extension, and a ratchet handle. You can get a grip on square plugs that are too far gone to turn with an open end wrench.

Heating the plug and melting candle wax around it helps too.

Once you get it out, buy a new one at the hardware store and put it in with Never Seize.

There is another way to find TDC. It looks kind of mickey mouse but it works. You need a small pipe that screws into the spark plug hole. If you do not have one, you can make one by breaking the porcelain out of an old plug and brazing or gluing a small pipe on.

Now stick a rubber balloon on the pipe and turn the engine over. When it gets to its maximum size, you have TDC. For finer control use some bubble soap.