Nine time 1st place winner at Hershey?

C4GY

In the Jan/Feb '14 issue of MAFCA's Restorer magazine is an ad for a 1931 Ford Model A pickup that is listed as a "Nine time 1st place winner at Hershey, Pennsylvania." As a AACA judge I wonder how the seller can claim that. If the pickup was judged as shown in the photo in the ad I see a number of deductions that would put even one "1st place" in jeopardy. I believe the claim to be misleading to say the least.

Unless he was winning a first place award at a local show in Hershey of course this is wrong. Normally you can win only one national first prize award but it is possible after 10 years to re-enter the car as if it has not won any awards and compete all over again. I doubt this man has done that! Probably an older gentleman that is confused and counting his preservation awards like Bob said.

Just to be semantic, in the course of a show car's trail there are actually two AACA first place awards one could receive: First Junior and First Senior.

#just got his first Duryea trophy!!

Nine firsts could be achieved through an intricate process of selling, buying and reselling, but the 1st would have to be returned and the vehicle starting over each time leaving you with (in the end) one first Junior level acheivement (per ownership transitiion). A bit awkward but I'm sure we've all seen stranger.

Edited by sambarn
Additional thoughts (see edit history)

West. you're probably right, my DPC 27 Marmon with older restoration and cracking Duco finish has an impressive collection of four first place wins...

In the 1950 and older Stock class at the annual Montevallo Alabama Cars by the creek show. It has had as many as two competitors in the class.

Guest billybird

Hold it! Theres one other way. If he's had the truck for 90 years he could have recycled it back through the judging system every 10 years.;););)

A quick little fun thing: At one time AACA awarded a Frist Junior at a show. This was in the early days and the club could not afford to remake the trophy plates. I saw one of these in my good friend Charlie Pergl's home (Pergl gas pumps). Somehow, a mischievous person has now seen fit to send him an AACA Senor Award and I think a AACA Perservation Award...next will be a Anal Grand National Award which many of us deserve!! :)

Truck sold three weeks ago but he said it had 12 first place trophies that were about 4 feet tall each that he got when he bought it. "The truck had to be driven around the track to be judged" according to the lady he bought it from.

Obviously it wasn't the Hershey AACA National Meet

Bob

I have seen many cars advertized as show winners from small local show which must hold a lot of prestige for some people! Many think that those plastic trophies add thousands of dollars to the value of poorly "restored" and I use the term loosely, vehicles. The hood is an accessory hood, and I think it was an item that was available during Model "A" production but I'm not sure if it was a Ford authorized accessory or not, as I haven't been able to find documentation on it. They were sold as replacement sides only to be added to original hood tops and although originals are rare, I don't believe the hoods are recognized by MARC or MAFCA. There are many accessories that were available back then but are not recognized for show because they detract from the original appearance and design of the vehicle. Certainly, you would never find one on a truck! I don't know why people insist on embellishing commercial vehicles and then try to pass it off as original. The posted photo is quite grainy and I don't see any evidence of an AACA badge!