Rear package shelf on a '63

JanZverina

Can anyone tell me what was the original factory configuration for the rear package shelf on a '63? Were they just the "Madrid grain" cardboard or were they covered in textured vinyl?

Thanks!

I do not think they were cardboard. It is some kind of textured plastic or vinyl.

I had mine out. The sun had turned the paint a very dark color where it shone through the rear window glass. I found a spot on the side that was fully protected from all sunlight and had my paint shop do a computer color scan match of that color for me. I got a paint specifically made for painting plastic and vinyl and resprayed the package shelf. It looks like new again.

Guest atomickneedrop

HiThe rear package tray is made of molded cardboard covered with vinyl. My rear window leaked and ruined the package tray. I bought a fiberglass one from Lee Sulis (gent in the back of the Riview). It fit pretty well. Click the link if you want to see what it looks like. DSCF0372

Cheers

Kraig

post-77345-143142413073_thumb.jpg

Hi Jan

I always have thought the first gen experts said the shelf was made of cardboard. I have to redo mine also as it is covered by a poor looking vinyl cover. Once it warms up here I will pull it out. Hopefully under the vinyl what is there is salvageable.

Regards

Glenn

I was just pulling a few parts off a '65 locally and the rear tray looked OK until I tried to pull it out. It was cardboard-ish (paper) and disintegrated in my hands. It was exposed to the weather.

I think I will have to go the fiberglass route also like the one that Kraig has. Looks nice.

Mike

I got one from lee and decided i wanted to paint it,so i put another layer of cloth fiberglass on the bottom for strength so i could finish the top smooth.This really stiffened it up and made the instulation tougher and made the trim pieces a tough fit.If your going to cover in fabric i would leave as is,with plenty of flex for installing.JMO.T.Nugent...

Anyone with a bone original '63 or a great memory to confirm that the hardboard was covered in vinyl? Mine is covered in black vinyl as well, and it appears to be separating from the backing board so I'll let you know what things look like once I tackle this. I've heard both positive and negative on the fiberglass shelf, one minus being it's tough to get it to fit right.

Guest Steeleco

The package tray that is on my 63 riv that I purchased a year and a half ago is shown in the photo. It is obviously vinyl. It actually has a thin metal frame in some spots. It may be original but I think I remember my fathers 63 from when I was a kid had more of a cardboard type with a painted type surface. I wonder if there were 2 versions of package trays in 1963?post-85701-143142415544_thumb.jpg

I see that CARS is now carrying a cardboard type package tray which I believe is a newer addition to their product line? Has anyone bought one? Please let us know if you did and how the quality was. I forget the price but you can see it on the CARS catalogue site.

Regards

Glenn

Hi Steele,

Yes, that's how mine is finished (although mine appears to be in better shape!) It has the edge trim at the rearward end as in your photo. Once I remove it I'll see what lurks beneath. Maybe there were two styles for '63. Can anyone shed some light on this, or point us to an existing thread that covers this?

post-99012-143142416541_thumb.jpg

post-99012-143142416559_thumb.jpgMine is the "bone stock" and in very good to excellent condition. It is black vinyl matching the black leather seats and, tapping on it, it seems to be cardboard. My good fortune is that this is an unmolested Riv so the package tray has never been replaced. Hope this helps. Dale

post-99012-143142416546_thumb.jpg

Perhaps should have explained in more detail re package shelf: The vinyl covers what I'm pretty sure is cardboard by the sound when I tap on it. Car has been garaged -and seldom driven- all its life so dash cover and package shelf cover are very good. No cracks, puckers, etc. Edge trim shown in pics is semi gloss black metal and headliner is silver.

Thanks for the response and including those photos, DrP. Yours matches what I have although mine is not in such good shape. But my interior looks to be 100% original save for the front seats. In other words, mildly worn carpet, pedals, and door panel armrests, some minor staining on the headliner, and creased white leather seats in the rear that could use a color wash from UK's Gliptone. In other words, it has patina! I ordered the shelf board from CARS Inc. so I'll see what it looks like. But your input and others tells me the vinyl covering is factory correct on a '63.

Jan,

Mine is original and is vinyl covered. Pretty sure the material graining matches the door and sail panels. Car is in storage and not at my house right now so I can't take a picture until maybe next week. If you need it, just let me know.

Regards,

Guest Pearville

post-94474-143142418615_thumb.jpg

Just happened to think my package tray was in the garage. I think this is original to my 63 but not sure. I have tried to take some closeups to let everyone see how they were made. It appears to be some type of early particle board covered in vinyl, as most of you have stated before. Hope this helps. Someone has cut speaker holes in mine so I guess I will have speakers on my package tray. I plan to refinish this with Leathereque. Mike

post-94474-143142418591_thumb.jpg

post-94474-143142418592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pearville (see edit history)

I pulled mine out of my car 6 years ago. It was covered in blue vinyl. It is particle board but mine was trashed especially at the corners where the windows leaked. I re-did mine with fiberglass, but have yet to cover it in vinyl and put the seat back it. I am kind of proud of the way it turned out, but now I am worried. After reading these posts, I am worried I may have problems when I re-install. How flexible does it need to be? I'm guessing it is a fitment issue around the corners as well as the seat backs. Right now it fits great, without the seats and trim but it is stiff as a surfboard. I was careful to match the original OD as well as the anchoring points, but it never occurred to me that it might need to flex to install. Now I am thinking I should do a lot of trial fitting before I cover it. Any thoughts? Have I rebuilt this thing into an unusable monster? PRL

Hi Steele,

Yes, that's how mine is finished (although mine appears to be in better shape!) It has the edge trim at the rearward end as in your photo. Once I remove it I'll see what lurks beneath. Maybe there were two styles for '63. Can anyone shed some light on this, or point us to an existing thread that covers this?

Begs the question, one for each trim level? There are many other differences between the trim levels, so I wouldn't doubt a subtle difference in the rear package tray to make the higher trim level that much better.

For each who posted, if you can update with which trim level you have, Standard or Custom... maybe the answer will start to appear.

Begs the question, one for each trim level? There are many other differences between the trim levels, so I wouldn't doubt a subtle difference in the rear package tray to make the higher trim level that much better.

For each who posted, if you can update with which trim level you have, Standard or Custom... maybe the answer will start to appear.

Hi Chuck,

Good idea. My '63 has a custom interior (white leather seats). The rear shelf, which appears to be original, is cardboard or hardboard covered in black vinyl. CARS Inc. offers the cardboard shelf that's die-cut to size but it has the Madrid grain texture directly applied to the board surface. That's why I started this thread; while it looks good I don't think it's factory correct.

Custom interior ie, optional black leather seats with vinyl trim around edges and wood grain on door panels. Build date 3d week in June. Package tray is original black vinyl matching the other vinyl grain look in interior and it is in excellent condition - see pics above. Have no idea what is under it and won't remove it to check. Dale

• 11 months later...
Guest KS-Competition
I see that CARS is now carrying a cardboard type package tray which I believe is a newer addition to their product line? Has anyone bought one? Please let us know if you did and how the quality was. I forget the price but you can see it on the CARS catalogue site.

Regards

Glenn

I bought one from CARS and is not impressed. It is just a piece of cardboard with cutouts but it is not bend. It has som marks where to bend it but I don´t think it will look good in the car. I will buy one from Lee Sulis in fiberglass.

Lee Sulis may not be providing this service any longer. Lee stated his health was diminishing & his last doctors visit required him to retire. Ed Rainer was gonna have Lee's ad removed from the back of the Riview, Lee didn't even know it was still there.

I purchased what may have been a botched attempt at a package tray from him. Lee clearly communicated that he had this last sub-par tray laying around the yard for me to have at a much discounted rate & I bought it...Riv project is on hold

• 3 weeks later...
Guest KS-Competition
Lee Sulis may not be providing this service any longer. Lee stated his health was diminishing & his last doctors visit required him to retire. Ed Rainer was gonna have Lee's ad removed from the back of the Riview, Lee didn't even know it was still there.

I purchased what may have been a botched attempt at a package tray from him. Lee clearly communicated that he had this last sub-par tray laying around the yard for me to have at a much discounted rate & I bought it...Riv project is on hold

I spoke to Lee to day and got the impression he can still make the tray´s. It is just a matter of problems with the environmental and health department in his state. As I understood it they make life hard for him if he is producing big numbers but he can still make small series for us that really need a good quality part. So if you want a fiberglass package tray give him a call.

I spoke to Lee to day and got the impression he can still make the tray´s. So if you want a fiberglass package tray give him a call.

I specifically asked him to make one for me & he said NO. That is how I ended with a botched tray of his.

If his circumstances have changed & he is back in business, DO NOT hesitate to order one from him. My buddy bought two trays from Lee & they look amazing…unlike my botched one ?

David

• 4 years later...

My 65 has a composit rear shelf..... It is original to the car and not in good shape.... from sun exposure and rear window leaks.

I would like to replace it with an original style replacement. Where might I find such a part?

Clark's Corvair Parts in Mass.   I was involved with the tray sending them a prototype tray I received.  I even went as far as cutting out the complete metal from a pretty rotted out '64 Riv. to help them along the way.  AFTER a few attempts they got it right.  This was at least 15-18 yrs, ago.

It ONLY comes complete, meaning the vinyl also.

Talk to Mark or Anna. 

Tom T.

• Like 1