1948 Dodge 3 speed trans

Complete 3 speed set up from a 48 Dodge D24 fluid drive.

Have column, linkage, clutch, fluid drive coupler, trans and driveshaft.

500.00 OBO

World Wide Shipping

Location-Jamestown CA 95327 (USA)

Email-dave@dodgecityvintage.com

Phone-209-613-1199

post-78906-143142410103_thumb.jpg

)

attachment.php?attachmentid=236661&d=1393604247&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236662&d=1393604253&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236663&d=1393604259&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236664&d=1393604266&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=236665&d=1393604272&thumb=1

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

You wrote:

Have a complete 3 speed set up from a 48 Dodge D24. column, linkage, clutch, trans and drive shaft. Pull that pain in the --- fluid drive and convert to the simple 3 speed.

Well, this one is coming from a car with fluid drive, so what is the point? Do you mean the pain in the --- M6, semi automatic transmission?

My first car was a 48 Dodge, so I'm quite familiar with that one. It was back in the fifties when my 48 was only 5 years old. A very nice car at the time, replaced by a 1951 Imperial. Then a 1958 Plymouth Fury.

The 48 Dodge did not use the M6 semi automatic transmission. That was a Desoto and Chrysler thing.

Dodge had a standard transmission and a standard transmission with a fluid coupling. All this did was allow you to come to a complete stop without engaging the clutch and you could also start out from a complete stop with the car still in gear. You still had to manually shift gears.

The clutch and pressure plate were mounted to the backside of the fluid coupler. The picture of the housing around all that appears to be correct for a fluid drive including the fluid filler hole for servicing the fluid drive. If you remove the plug for that hole you should see a torque converter like unit with exterior cooling fins. You could rotate the fluid drive unit by pushing on the base of the fins until you got one of the 2 service plugs to line up.

I'm not sure if a standard shift transmission would be the right length when bolted up to a fluid drive housing. Maybe there was a way to adapt.

May want to double check but don't be fooled by the fact there is a clutch and pressure plate.

• 8 months later...