What is this car? Specifically the year or years

Guest Historylover

Guest Historylover

I asked my grandfathers friend who restores cars and he told me it was a pan motor company car. I noticed pictures online that looked just like it but I was unsure whether other companies like they do today made "Sister" cars where two different companies made similar cars with some interchangeable parts. I also wanted to see what you guys thought it was first before I gave someone else's opinion.

What do you think?

Guest Historylover

Yeah I just now noticed the windshield is not a match. On a Pan the glass is curved. On this one it's rectangle. There is a logo on the front but don't know what it means. The bumper, fender, side-step, wheels, and rear window looks like a Pan.

What I really want to do is get this photo dated and I think the car is the only proof in the photo. My family thinks this photo was for sure taken in 1909 and I disagreed with them and thought is was not that old but maybe closer to 1920. So third party opinion in needed.

To Historylover, you are right that this photo was taken much later than 1909. It is definitely no earlier than 1918 and more likely at least 1921 because of the style of front fenders. Most cars of the 1918-20 period had plain tops on the fenders and that style with the shaped tops was popular in the 1921-24 era. In 1909 most cars had brass radiators, gas lights, vertical windshields and no front doors.

The shape of the cowl and the way the rear half of the front fenders gradually slop back to the running boards instead of following the shape of the front wheel, ending sharply the way many cars did in the very early 1920's, leads me to believe the car was made around 1925 or so. Also, the girl on the tricycle has a bobbed hair cut. That was in vogue in the late 1920's and very early 1930's. The photo is most certainly not from 1909.

• 2 weeks later...

I go with 1919 Buick H-45

1919buick02.jpg

This is from the Lemay collection and is a well documented original. The convertible top doesn't match but...

I also agree with the mid twenties period on the photo. The hairstyle is a giveaway. That style wasn't terribly popular until 21 or so. I think the top could have been replaced. That the windows are after market. It looks in great shape and, with the age of the car at the time the pic was taken, would be a little rough having been parked outside on the street for years. Just my guess.

I go with 1919 Buick H-45

1919buick02.jpg

This is from the Lemay collection and is a well documented original. The convertible top doesn't match but...

I also agree with the mid twenties period on the photo. The hairstyle is a giveaway. That style wasn't terribly popular until 21 or so. I think the top could have been replaced. That the windows are after market. It looks in great shape and, with the age of the car at the time the pic was taken, would be a little rough having been parked outside on the street for years. Just my guess.

The cowl on the car in question is straight all of the way to the windshield whereas the cowl on this car curves up near the windshield.