Overdrive Transmission Pictures

Guest mopardavid

Mopar in 37 had the shifter on top. Just sold one. Don't look like that. Also the linkage for applying the e brake is a handle that comes out of the floor and is connected to the pass side of the trans to engaged the e brake. 38 moved to the driver side and the handle was moved from the floor the the dash. The trans pictured has the linkage for the e brake on the d.s. I'm speaking for Chrysler and not Desoto. Haven't seen their set up.

Guest mopardavid

No dpdc logo--Chrysler engineering developed modern day overdrive, but

Walter P did not want to pay for the tooling up through Chrysler production so he turned to Borg Warner who was already in the gear business and contracted with them to build the units. There was a catch however, the agreement allowed Borg Warner to sell to other Marques,which they did. It is definately a T-85 Borg Warner identified by the markings on the case.

Glad to hear that your "37" Desoto had a top shifter-that helps to narrow the search.Can you remember if your transmission resembled the one in the pictures? My "39" overdrive unit does not look at all like the one I'm trying to find out about. The

"39" more resembles the rest of my 36's regular three speeds

As I've mentioned the unit I have does not look like my "39" transmission with overdrive.

Guest mopardavid

Hi Dave,

I think we're all in agreement that at least through "37" all Mopars had the shifter on top. All of my "35" & "36" plymouth and dodge three speed transmissions look alike and have the emergency brake engagement apparatus on the passenger side. My "39" overdrive unit has the emergency brake on the drivers side. The overdrive unit that I'm inquiring about and cast 10/1/36 would have been for the model year "37" market; and it has the emergency brake apparatus on the drivers side.

As I've said in another post there is a difference in the bell housing/transmission bolt pattern, and location of the shift lever (both of which are on top) between the two.

I have a couple of 38 Chry with shifter coming out of the floor with overdrive and the ebrake is under the dash. The ebrake cable is mounted on the d.s. of the trans. The 38 Dodges still have the ebrake coming through the floor along with the shifter.

Can you take pictures of you 39 set up? I haven't seen one and that would answer a lot of questions.

I am sorry that I don't recall just what it looked like, and unfortunatley I recently dump a bunch of photos from my computer.

I have a disc that may have a pic. I will check.

The buyer removed it from the car so I never saw it out of the car.

Well I found the disc that I think the 37 Desoto tranny pics are on. but I guess I dont know how to look at whats on it.

If there is any computer friends that would take the time to walk me thru that on the phone I would be receptive.

OK, figured it out.

I dont know if you can even use these but its what I found.

This is a 37 Desoto mechanical over drive tranny.

Jack, thanks for the pictures.

This is what my mechanical overdrive unit looks like in my 1937 Desoto 5 window business coupe. Is that little Tee - handle under the dash for operating the overdrive? Mine is missing. Do you have any more pictures of the dash area?

How does the overdrive work?

If your running along in third gear, do you just pull the lever, or do you have to apply the clutch at the same time?

Does the overdrive work for second and third gear, or just third?

Anyone know?

Thanks again,

Mike

I never drove it. I bought it for a few parts, sold some more off of it and then sold the rest.

Unfortunately, this is all that I have as far as dash.

I am thinking the T handle would be the only control for the OD, but I am sure that someone familiar with this set up will chime in.

I do know that there was no electrical to this setup.

post-52542-14314241721_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142417213_thumb.jpg

post-52542-143142417215_thumb.jpg

MoparDavid, your transmission looks about identical to the transmissions in our 35 and 36 Airflows. The only difference I ever noticed is the handbrake cable clamp is different and the fill plugs may not number the same.

I need the two shift forks that are visible in the photo showing the top cover in order to complete a transmission, does anyone have parts for sale?

Jay

also the u-joints differ between 35 and 36

Edited by jazzer3 (see edit history)

Guest mopardavid

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the pictures-interesting! From what I've been able to acertain from your pictures is this, the mounting of the emergency brake band looks the same, the emergency brake is located on the passenger side whereas the one I'm asking about (mine) is mounted on the drivers side. There is currently on ebay a overdrive transmission taken out of a "36" chrysler and installed in a 36 plymouth convertable,then taken out of the plymouth and is now for sale. It has a casting date of "36" and surprisingly does not look at all like what you've shown in your pictures, what I've posted,and what I have that is not posted. The one on ebay is cast as a single unit, meaning the transmission and overdrive are enclosed in a one piece case. All the other ones I've seen so far show the overdrive unit as a bolt on to the 3 speed transmission. Also, all the ones I've seen so far look as though they mount without modification to the bell housing of Chryslers L-head sixes. Things are getting curiouser and curiouser----?dave

Guest mopardavid

Hi Jay,

thank you for your reply. I do not have an extra set of shift forks,wish I did for you. I am also looking for a part to complete my rebuilt od transmission, the shift lever. I've a couple of questions for you: the transmission bolt holes (4) to the bell housing measure 4 and 3/4 inches tall on centers by

6 and 1/2 inches wide on centers. Are the ones on your Airflows the same, every other transmission of mine measures 4" tall on center by 6 " wide on center. Another question I have is the shift lever and forks-as you can see by the posted pictures the shifting forks extend onto the bell housing whereas all of the other units I have the shifting forks are located within the transmission case. Would your shifting forks look like mine pictured. Finially, are your Airflows 6 or 8 cylinder engines, I didn't know if that would make a difference on the transmission to bell housing bolt pattern.Thank you again for helping me narrow the search,I'm elated that so many have chimed in on my quest!-------------Dave

Dave, I took some measurements. The trans in the 35 Airflow measures 6 1/2" horizontally and 4 3/4" vertically.

I also have a 39 Overdrive that came from a C-23, I think, That measures 6" horizontal and either 4" or 5 3/4" vertical as there are 3 sets of holes.

Then we have a 37 or 38 DeSoto trans that I plan on putting in a 48 Windsor, it measures 6" Horizontal and 4" vertical.

The DeSoto bell appears it would accept the 39 trans but there is 2" difference in pilot shaft length the DeSoto trans having a pilot shaft 9" long and the 39 Chrysler trans measuring 11"post-39071-143142426075_thumb.jpgThe first two photos are the eight cylinder 35 Airflow, then there are three photos of the 39 Overdrive trans, and you can tell the DeSoto trans and bell

post-39071-143142426037_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142426044_thumb.jpg

post-39071-14314242605_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142426056_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142426063_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142426069_thumb.jpg

I have a couple of 38 Chry with shifter coming out of the floor with overdrive and the ebrake is under the dash. The ebrake cable is mounted on the d.s. of the trans. The 38 Dodges still have the ebrake coming through the floor along with the shifter.

I'm sorry, but I think you are wrong regarding the e-brake set up for '38 Dodges. I think that in '38 all of the Chrysler product e-brake handles mechanisms moved to under the dash.

Here's a picture of a '38 Dodge dashboard from Google:

post-394-0-68066000-1323275238.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Hollander Interchange book says the T85-1 case was used in 1935 Chrysler Airflow C1,2,3; Chrysler '36-37 C9,10,11,17; DeSoto '35 Airflow; Studebaker '36 Pres 2C; Studebaker '37 Pres. 3C manual control O.D.

So based on that and the possible casting date of 1936 Oct, it must be one of the '37 models or maybe a late '36. It was commented above that it looked like '35 & '36 Airflow boxes. Studebaker did not use Cardan shaft hand brake.

Therefore we come back to Chrysler '36-37 C9, 10, 11, 17 and most likely '37 models.