Single- or three-wire replacement alternator?

Guest goathouse

Guest goathouse

Hello all, and all of this in regards to my 65 American 440. The alternator is shot and I can't get a straight answer as to whether a 1-wire or three-wire replacement AC Delco alternator would be better. The clock position on the existing is 9 o'clock, and it has an external regulator. A replacement AC Delco will be internally regulated. Now, as far as I understand it I can do one of two things. I can:

1. Get a 3-wire 7127-9 and deal with running a regulator wire to an ignition source, OR...

2. Get a 1-wire 7127-12 and move the clocking position. I can't seem to find a 7127-9 single wire.

Ugh. I'm quite new to this wrenching-on-my-own car thing and it's both fun and scary. Has anyone ever reclocked an AC Delco alternator? There are procedures and videos that show how to reclock an alternator but I've gotten mixed opinions as to how easy/hard it is, and also if it's reccomended at all.

Any information will be very appreciated. My best to you all.

John Charles

Oakland, CA

John,

The only advantage to the 3-wire would be that they will excite and charge at a lower RPM than the 1-wire alternators. You should be able to get either version in any clock position. If you are planning on ordering one online, I can supply you with whatever you want in any clock position desired. You should also be able to find a local rebuilder that can do the same. Let me know if I can help. Good Luck.

-Jason