1948 Mercury Woodie Wagon

Guest carguy4u

Guest carguy4u

Hello ,, i'm new to the woodie world and would like to learn more about my car i just bought. i found it in a barn. 1948 mercury. i have considered selling it on ebay. I posted a ad before i got the car in my possession and with out pictures the car bids went up to $11K without any pictures in less than 12 hours before i removed the ad. It has a aluminum piece under the radiator, it has a small lite under the dash for interior lite that i was told is special for 1948 , it has a aluminum air dam box from the heater blower motor to the front of the engine mounted to the bottom of the hood ,, it does not have a 2 speed rear end ,,, we are in the process of making it run,, it is very well preserved and does not appear to ever have been taken apart. The car was in a barn for 40 years parked on gravel with tarps and blankets ,, there are some wood damage to the top edge of the passenger door ,, there is some damage to the top rear wood at the tailgate ,,,, there is one hole in a door panel ,,, Interior has three benches ,,, speedometer shows 79k miles and last serviced on door jam in 1959 with 58k miles ,,,,, flat head v-8 engine with manual transmission ,, 4 wheel drum brakes ,,,, one tail light on drivers side with plastic lens ,, 2 tail light bullet looking lights added to side of rear body ,,, needs re chroming of all chrome ,,, radiator holding fluid and looks to be in good shape ,,, electrical wiring appears to be wrapped in cloth and does not appear to have any major deterioration or damage ,,, Not missing any door handles or window cranks ,,, Has wi title and 2 sets of keys ,, spare tire on rear and 2 sets of spare tire metal covers ,,, Can anyone give suggestions as to some type of value to this car and what venue would suit it best to sell ,, My thought were Mecum ?? perhaps gooding and company in pebble beach californina in august ,, or should i just run it on Ebay? I can find only 3 1948 Mercury woodie wagons anywhere on the internet and they are all restored units with price's ranging from 134k to 155k This is a unrestored all original unit in need of some woodworking and metal repair to floor pans ,, Fenders and Frame and sheet metal other than the floor on drivers side and passenger rear floor have football size holes in the floor boards however the rest of the car is very solid. thanks for your time to read and reply. THIS WEB SITE WILL NOT LET ME LOAD A PICTURE I TRIED LIKE 50 TIMES ,, WON'T UP LOAD send me your email and i will send you pictures if you want.

Edited by carguy4u (see edit history)

Pictures are a must, try to figure how to post them. I don't know for sure but I think most auction houses want restored cars. How quickly do you want to sell? If you are not in a hurry, join the National Woodie Club and post an ad for free. You will reach a lot of woodie people by joining. Mercury's are rarer than Fords and will usually bring a little more money but condition means a lot. Where are you located? By joining the NWC you could have a member look over the car and give you first hand advice. Repairs to the floorpan can be costly, if the floors are bad chances are the sills under the doors could be bad, they usually fill up with dirt and rot out. There are several people that can provide wood parts for your car. Why did you pull the ad, why not see how much it would have peaked at. What you consider "good" condition can be in reality "fair" condition by a woodie expert! The good news is, it seems like you have all the little hardware parts that are almost impossible to locate, including the third seat and tire cover. Keep us posted!