King Midget.....mini?

Guest Carmela

They were not really a kit. You may have been able to buy them that way but they were sold ready to drive also. Some of the years came in a crate that you could make into a garage to keep them in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Midget

Some of the years came in a crate that you could make into a garage to keep them in.

I looked around a little bit for photos of such a setup and didn't find anything. Do you have anything you could post or somewhere you could point me? I'm simply curious about it and would like to take a look if there are any photos out there.

Not really a King Midget guy, I think I saw pictures and a story about the garage in one of the newsletter sales catalogues the company sent out. Might take awhile to find where I stashed them. Might also be faulty memory and it was just a comment someone made that they came in a crate big enough to make into a garage.

THe King Midget club would be a good source of information in general.

Some very early (late 1940s) single seater King Midgets were sold as a kit. Starting with the first 2 seater in 1951 they were sold fully assembled , ready to run. In a 1965 brochure I have they say when the car arrives at the freight yard all you need to do is cut the straps that fasten the car to its shipping skids, add gasoline and drive away. Registration documents are sent by mail so you can get license plates before the car arrives.

There is no mention of a crate of any kind let alone one that turns into a garage.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)