2014 Prewar aftertour and National Meet

Guest buckfarmer

Guest buckfarmer

Hello All,

Has there been any talk yet of a prewar after tour being held. This will be my first National Meet and really liked the sounds of the one that was hosted this past year. Trying to plan my trip to Portland and don't want to miss an all prewar cars tour if it is going to happen.

Also, how does the National Meet work (this will be my first). Are the cars on the show field all week? or just Saturday during judging? Is there anything that a first timer bringing a car should know ahead a time? anything to make sure not to miss? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Neil vanDalfsen

Neil,

I thought there was a post on the tour, but now cannot find it. So it must have been a PWD communication. I will let Mark Shaw or others communicate with you on that.

Regarding the actual meet, there is usually the assigned parking only on Saturday for judging or display. If you plan to have the car judged, I suggest you find the Judging Manual on the forum and read through that for an explanation, especially about your car, as 400 point judging is by era.

I am sure you will be hearing from others as the time draws closer.

John

Neil,

The PWD (Gorgeous) AfterTour was advertised in our newsletter, but here are the details so far:

The Columbia River Gorge, was designated a National Scenic Area in 1986 and begins on the edge of Portland and extends almost 100 miles east up the Columbia River. It also serves as the boundary between the states of Oregon and Washington. Native Americans used it as a major travel route, and Lewis and Clark used it to reach the Pacific Ocean. Later, it became part of the Oregon Trail when migrants removed their wheels and put their wagons on barges to float to Fort Vancouver WA and the Willamette Valley in OR. Today, Washington State Highway 14 and Oregon Interstate Highway 84 use this millennia-old route to connect the Pacific Northwest with locations east.

Driving in the Columbia River Gorge is a truly unique experience unmatched anywhere else in the world. It is one of the major attractions in the Pacific Northwest for its’ scenic beauty and recreational diversity. The Columbia River remains nearly at sea level while the basalt cliffs on either side can reach up to 4000 feet as the river cuts a path through the Cascade Mountains. Our 2014 BCA PreWar AfterTour will take us up the Columbia River Gorge for a truly Gorgeous AfterTour.

I strongly encourage anyone considering participation in the AfterTour to make hotel reservations now! July is peak tourism time and reasonable hotel rooms will soon be booked and not available at all. You can always cancel your reservations if you change your plans, but this is one you will not want to miss. The Historic Columbia Gorge and Multnomah Falls bus tour offered by the BCA will be entirely on the Oregon side of the river. The AfterTour will be primarily on the Washington side, but will cross over to drive the historic highway from Mosier to The Dalles OR. Visiting Crown Point and Multnomah Falls will be optional on the last day for those who choose not to take the bus tour.

Sunday July 27th: Depart the host hotel at 9 AM & cross over to WA Hwy 14 East for a coffee stop just past Beacon Rock, and on to take a guided tour of the Bonneville Dam. We will have lunch at the river park in Stevenson and continue with a tour of the Interpretive Center near Skamania Lodge. (Some may want to drive up to the lodge just to see the lobby and fireplace). We continue east and cross over a $1 toll bridge to Hood River and check-in at The Vagabond Lodge overnight. The Vagabond is next door to the Columbia Gorge Inn with its’ beautiful gardens and fine dining for those who want to indulge.

Monday July 28th: Depart at 9 AM driving south of Hood River to the Western Antique Aeroplane & Automobile Museum (WAAAM). After lunch in Hood River, we drive on the historic highway with a short stop at the Rowena Overlook to take in spectacular views of the river. We continue east to the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center before arriving for an overnight stay in The Dalles at Cousins Country Inn. Cousins is known for its’ country restaurant with great meals served in large portions.

Tuesday July 29th: Depart at 9 AM to cross back over the river to WA Hwy 14 east to visit the Mary Hill Museum of Art, have lunch in their café, and take a short drive to the Stone Henge Memorial for a photo opportunity with your Buick. The last stop will be the Mary Hill Winery to toast good-by to those who choose to return via the OR I-84 freeway. Others will return via WA Hwy 14.

Hotel Reservations:

Sunday July 27th for one night: http://www.vagabondlodge.com/html/rates.html

The Vagabond Inn rates are as listed on their website. I suggest you request at least a partial view room so you are located near the river away from the freeway at the front of the hotel. Or reserve a New Courtyard room opening May 1st. Check out the Columbia Gorge Inn next door: http://www.columbiagorgehotel.com/ It is a bit too expensive to stay there, but dinner would be one to remember.

Monday July 28th for one night: http://cousinscountryinn.com/index.php

The Cousins Country Inn offers a $96.90 Group Rate for PreWar Buicks that includes a special breakfast coupon. Request the front building with windows overlooking the parking area. Dinner at Cousins will be memorable too, but not the same fancy atmosphere. We will all receive breakfast coupons at check-in.

All BCA members are welcome with or without a prewar Buick. To sign up for the AfterTour, send a PM to Mark Shaw or find my email address listed in The Bugle under BCA Divisions. Please list your car and all who will attend after you make hotel reservations. Prewar Division membership is free with BCA membership. Just email your BCA# and list your prewar car or cars to be added to our roster so you will receive email notifications. Tour updates will be in the PWD Newsletter.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)

Guest buckfarmer

Thanks, Mark and John. This helps a lot. I have booked the hotel rooms for the aftertour. So count me in. See you all there.

Neil

• 3 months later...

Arrangements were made with the Meet Chairman for a BCA PreWar Division Breakfast at 7:30 AM Sunday morning in the hotel coffee shop. However, I learned Tuesday at registration that our meeting could not be held in the coffee shop and that the host hotel wanted $20 each for a scrambled egg breakfast buffet to be served in a meeting room rather than off the menu in the dining room as originally planned. I felt this was excessive, and not everyone will want breakfast because some are staying at other hotels with a free breakfast. I also didn't want to be on the hook for so many $20 meals if attendees didn't buy breakfast.

So, I am offering Breakfast Burritos, donuts and Starbucks coffee at 7:30 AM for only $5 per person in front of the Red Lion Hotel for PWD AfterTour participants. Look for the cars lined up in preparation to start the AfterTour. We will have a short meeting, and when everyone is ready, we will depart for the Gorgeous AfterTour no later than 9:00 AM.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)