1941-1948 Ford Woodie Hinge Question

Guest tomandjana97

Guest tomandjana97

I live in southern california and need to re-pin my hinges. Theoretically, it seems pretty simple, but wanted to get some suggestions from those who have done this.

Please reply or email me at thomas.l.scott@ms.com

If you know of a shop that has experience doing this, let me know please. If it isn't ridulously priced, will have it done.

Tom

760-696-5565

Remember that these hinges have been exposed to the weather for about 65 years and the pin is a press fit. This job can go ether way, the pins could drive out or they might need to be drilled out. Are the hinges on the car, if not I would start out by soaking them for a week or two in penetrating oil. The bottom of the hinge has a slight bevel so try to tap on it to see if it starts to move. Once you mushroom the bevel you need to get out the hand grinder. If they don't move you can try heat and try to tap them out. If not it might be machine shop time. Remember the movable side of the hinge, not the side bolted to the car, is prone to wear. If the hinge is worn it will have to have a bushing pressed in it. You could also opt for oversized pins. Good luck with your project.