Paper Air filter question

414TATA

• 2 weeks later...

I could not get my car to run right with a paper filter. I've never been able to figure that one out. I went back to the oil bath, and the car runs fine. Below is how I did mine, and maybe there was something wrong with how I did it. I just figured they knew what they were doing when the system was designed and that's just how it wants (or needs) to be.

You can find the right size round paper filter and put it in the center with the filter for the oil bath removed. You then need to plug the air inlet opening so it will pull the air through the filter instead of going through the hole on the side. I found one that was about the right thickness so the old wing nut would hold the assemble together. There are probably other ways of doing it, but that was the cheapest and easiest way for me to go that route.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest 39cent

I have a 41 Buick dual intake on my 39 Century, am using a Corvair paper filter set up like Mr. Earl. runs fine. It seems a little small so I am going to stack on another filter to see if it makes any difference. I havnt found a taller single filter yet. There is one thing I have run into that might need to be investigated, I have found intake manifolds cracked from heat when heat riser is blocked open to intake manifold.

Edited by 39cent (see edit history)