Why two speedometer cables?

Beltfed

When I received this car the speedometer cable was attached on the drive shaft just aft of the transmission. In the trunk was this large very long speedometer cable. I had no idea where it went or why. Now I know it hooks to the right side of the Columbia rear end. I have seen where there is some sort of conversion gear box mounted on the firewall for these two cables to mount to, I think. Not having the 'gear box' I called the Columbia repair guy in Calif. to ask about buying one. He stated if I have the speedometer takeoff on the rear axle I don't need the other cable or gear box.

My question is why two speedometer cables?

Columbia 2 Speed Axles were either ordered from Lincoln with the original car order or as an add on axle by the local dealer. The factory supplied axle had the speedometer cable connection on the rear axle itself while the dealer installled axle used the drive shaft "turtle" connection to operate the speedometer cable. By 1941 when the Borg Warner overdrive became available to Lincoln owners the sale and use of the Columbia overdrive unit rapidly became obsolete. I believe the axle driven speedometer connection was dropped when the 1940 Lincoln model cars were introduced.

My '40 does confirm that too. It was built early in the 1940 model year. The Ford Archieves factory build sheet shows the 2-speed Columbia as an option included on the orig order. It has no cable connection on the back axle, just the tap behind the tranny u-joint, and has the speedometer cable gearbox at the steering column. (trivia- the Columbias were made right here in Cleveland,OH where the company was located!) Paul

post-45349-143142405799_thumb.jpg

post-45349-143142405803_thumb.jpg

I do believe we have conflicting information here. John Murphy stated the the factory installed axle had the axle mounted speedo drive. 40ZephSedan stated his build sheet included the two speed rear end and the speedo take off is on the torque tube behind the tranny. Someone care to clear this up.

Well live and learn, Murph...it appears that 1938 was the last year for the rear axle mounted speedometer connection. The 30 and 40 Lincolns used the forward torque tube speedometer connection and a 96H 4010B axle housing. Due to the 1941 rear axle being newly widened the speedometer connection on the forward torque tube was also used for Columbia Axles ordered from the factory. The Columbia Axle used the 16H 4010 B right side axle housing. There was no Columbia Axle housing built after 1941. Borg Warner overdrive units were the units used in and after 1941...althought I have heard rumors that some Columbia Axles were used in 1942 and even after the war...probably dealer installed.

• Like 1