1929 resleeved Master Cylinder is leaking

Narve N

For my big 1929 Series 65 project (2 cars) I have 2x resleeved MCs and one old "reusable as is" 80 year old MC. The reservoir bottom part of these MCs is threaded onto the piston part with a rather coarse thread but poses no problem with the old MC, however both the repaired ones act more like sieves and drip continuously. Anyone encountered this problem before, any known fix to it?

post-59101-143142403298_thumb.jpg

Hi Narve,

I had the same problem but in my case I forgot to put the large but thin copper washer in the bottom part before screwing it on, I know it’s a stupid question but when you had them re-sleeved were the copper washers replaced?

Hope this helps and good luck with your cars, here is a picture of what the washer should look like.

post-86924-143142403436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sasha39 (see edit history)

Hi hwellens,

Yes that well might be the case with the aluminium as I don’t know if my MC had been refurbished prior, but I dare say that both aluminium and copper would do the trick as both are soft metals and are crushable to form a good seal. Hope it works for Narve.:)

Appreciate the tip which probably is spot on. The resleeving guys have just omitted the washer totally in both repaired MCs and I did not dear to glow the old one enough to take it apart. I assess the problem is solved (at least when I get hold of the correct king-size washer).

Thanks again.

That last lead was fabulous and answered all my questions. As it never occurred to me (stupidly) to look at the Dodge forum for answers, this leads me to another thought:

Why are there separate AACA pages for Dodge and the other Mopars? There are generally more corporate parts bin similarities between them then differing items. Wouldn't it have been better to have all-Mopar pre 50 and a second for all-Mopar post 50?

• 4 weeks later...

That would be great mate but up until 1928 Dodge Brothers Motor cars were completely different to Chrysler with no or very few parts being interchangeable Don't get me wrong I have nothing against Chrysler Cars ( I own one) It would be like having all the different marques made by GM all in one bucket I don't think it would work Thanks Ron