over drive transmission

Guest mopardavid

Guest mopardavid

Hello out there,

I need to tap into the vast amount of Chrysler Corp. knowledge that is available on the Internet. I'm trying to figure out the exact application of a overdrive transmission that I have and could use your help. It is all mechanical from what I've observed having only one lever where a cable would attach that would then run up to the dashboard. From the numbers and letters cast onto the transmission and overdrive unit (which I will share with you) I think it is a Borg Warner T-85, manufactured on October 1, 1936. I came to this conclusion because:

a.) on the right side of the transmission case is cast 10 1 36

b.) beneath that is cast T 8 5 1

c.) followed by W. G. DIV (warner gear division ?)

d.) on top of the overdrive unit is cast stamped R 1 - 1F

e.) the main/pilot shaft housing is cast stamped T85-6

f.) the shift lever (missing) is top mounted which would make it before 1939

g.) the overall length of the unit from the tip of the pilot shaft to the rear of the emergency brake band

is 34 and 1/2 inches

h.) from the face of the body of the transmission to the end of the pilot shaft the measurement is 10

and 3/16 inches

i.) the transmission bolt holes (4) to the bell housing measure 4 and 3/4 inches tall on centers by

6 and 1/2 inches wide on centers.

j.) the front of the top shifter housing ends where the od unit meets the bell housing, it does not run

over onto the bell housing like my 39 ply. does.

ANY information you can pass on would be greatly appreciated! In closing I might add that my od

unit does not look at all like pictures that I've seen on the internet that represent the T-85

Guest mopardavid

Hi Jack:

I think you are right that it fits a 37 Desoto and a few others as well. My thinking is that the overdrive transmission was for model year 1937 because of the casting date 10/1/36. I also think it was also for the "high end" Chrysler cars like Desoto, Chrysler and Imperial. The fact that the shifter is top mounted on the transmission leads me to believe that it was manufactured in its form up until 1939. My 1939 overdrive transmission does not look at all like the one I am inquiring about. The 1939 is a top mounted shift but also has a little bit of electrical in the form of switches and solenoids unlike the totally mechanical overdrive that I am asking about. I've transferred the pictures I took of the overdrive transmission onto my computer but haven't figured out how to post them on this forum. I will get them on as soon as I have it figured out.

Thank you for your reply.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mopardavid

Like you I still have my 1st car--"36" Plymouth p-2 business coupe. I've a "39" Plymouth with overdrive that has the top mounted gear shift lever, always under the impression that column shift came out in the 1940 model. --dave

Like you I still have my 1st car--"36" Plymouth p-2 business coupe. I've a "39" Plymouth with overdrive that has the top mounted gear shift lever, always under the impression that column shift came out in the 1940 model. --dave

I don't recall at the moment the correct names for the different '39 Ply models, but the standard model still had the floor shift, while the Deluxe model (still called a Road King?) came with column shift. It would be my guess that no other '39 Chrysler passenger cars still had floor shift.

Guest mopardavid

Hi,

Research tells me Plymouth was the last to let go of the floor shift in "39". Chrysler, Desoto, Dodge had moved to the column shift for their "39" models, and it appears as though Plymouth did too at least in their Deluxe models. The floor shift was still available on the Plymouth economy model (P-1), I think. My "39" overdrive transmission( transmission cast date - 10 27 38, T 86 A - 1 coupled to overdrive unit cast 10 25 R S -1 S has the shifter mounted on top of the transmission which proves to me at least the floor shift was still available for the "39" Plymouth.-------Dave

r

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the 1939 Chrysler "cruise and climb " overdrive transmission...I know that it will upshift when you released the gas pedal and would downshift when the pedal was depressed. My Question is, what is stopping a downshift from occurring at a higher speed when engine damage could result? I have a 1939 Chrysler Imperial and I am afraid of a high speed /RPM downshift...with the factory 4.30 rear end ratio, the results of a 60 MPH downshift could be catastrophic.

• Like 1

I have a question about the 1939 Chrysler "cruise and climb " overdrive transmission...I know that it will upshift when you released the gas pedal and would downshift when the pedal was depressed. My Question is, what is stopping a downshift from occurring at a higher speed when engine damage could result? I have a 1939 Chrysler Imperial and I am afraid of a high speed /RPM downshift...with the factory 4.30 rear end ratio, the results of a 60 MPH downshift could be catastrophic.

Google Chrysler OD and a ton of info will show up. That is where I get my info besides the forums.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

b.) beneath that is cast T 8 5 1

d.) on top of the overdrive unit is cast stamped R 1 - 1F

e.) the main/pilot shaft housing is cast stamped T85-6

Hollander shows the following.

T85-1 case with o/d was used in Chrysler '35 Airflow C1 #6604782 up; C2 #7014221 up; C3 #7528661;

Chrysler '36-37 C9, 10, 11, 17

De Soto '35 Airflow;

all above with case #637630.

Studebaker '36 Pres. 2C,

Studebaker '37 Pres. 3C, case #188239.

T85-6 is not listed but T85-8 is the cluster gear.

Is there anything stamped or cast on the main drive gear (pinion that goes into the clutch)? T85-16 was used in the Chrysler products, T85-16F in '36 Stude. 2C and T85-16B in '37 Stude. 3C.

I can't see any information listed about the o/d unit.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)