Wisconson motor

Guest Carmela

Guest Carmela

I have my Dad's King Midget. I don't think it has been started in probably 30 years? I am not a Car person but this Car holds a lot of good memories so it was the only one of the many cars my Dad had that I wAnted.....what has to be done to this motor before I try to start it? Or is it garbage for sitting so long?

Guest Drew Kreidelcamp

I think this would depend on the condition it was in when it was last driven and the quality of the storage it has been in for the last 30 years. If it ran well when it was parked and stored in an area that is not excessively damp, it may not require much to get it back into running condition. I would first check to see if the engine is seized. If you can turn it over by hand ,there is a good chance you could get back into running condition without a lot of work and expense. It might be a good idea to remove the head and check for corrosion and carbon buildup on the piston, cylinder and valves. The carburetor and fuel tank should be drained and cleaned. Change the oil. The ignition point contacts may be oxidized after 30 years and may need replacement.