Wanted: Two DB 25" split rims

StillOutThere

I have two badly rusted split rims on the 25" wheels of my late '17 Dodge Bros. touring. Am seeking to purchase two excellent original replacements. According to the club resource "Wood Wheels" application photo and serial number charts these are Stanweld rims on Hayes wheels.

New tires /tubes /flaps are on their way to me already!

Thanks.

post-57494-143142401086_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yes, Universal Tire is the official distributor for new split rims made by a company in New Zealand. Coker also say they sell them but in fact Corky Coker's sister is the principle owner of Universal Tire and so that is the source. As far as I can tell anywhere in the world New Zealand is the ONLY source of new split rims. They do not make the exact profile of the original rims for my car. The DB club members have urged me to look for originals rather than try to use the Kiwi rims.

New Zealand: http://www.vintagerims.com/Split_Rims_Vintage_Rims.html via email sent me to Universal as their "US distributor"

Here are some representative pics which I hope tell the same tale as those James has posted. Each is "renamed" to support the dimension shown. These are known as 25" rims becasuse they take a 25" inside diameter tire thus the rim measures 24" ID and 26" OD so that the drop center where the tire mounts is 25".

I need two of these rims. Would consider picking up a third.

post-57494-143142410887_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410893_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410899_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410905_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410911_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410916_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410922_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410927_thumb.jpg

post-57494-143142410934_thumb.jpg

I ordered and have received 33 x 4 Lester blackwalls from Lucas Tire, Long Beach, CA along with flaps, "383" brass stem tubes and related hardware w/ nickel stem covers. They fit the couple of good original rims I have.

As you also compute: 4" balloon doubled is 8, from 33" diameter is 25", the size of my rims. Your later car apparently has 24" rims.

All is not lost.

If you have someone down there who knows his stuff you can use a sections of a 24" rim to make a 24" into a 25".

Not so easy but it CAN be done and I expect this is the route you will wind up taking.

Another alternative is there is an outfit in Ohio who can make them for you.......I think. A few years ago I know he made a complete set of wood spoked wheels for a Case 40 car.

Texas welders have made, I suppose, hundreds of thousands of miles of oil field and refinery high pressure pipe lines. I would think they could do this. Opinions do run both strongly in favor of and strongly against trying to section into a split rim. I appreciate the addition of your opinion.

Is there a name for the Ohio firm? I don't need a wheelwright, I need a "rim-wright".

I'll be getting some information shortly.......as soon as I know you'll know....... :)

Here's the info I received:

It was either Brownies Custom Wheels or Wanta Wheels

Bruce Brown of Brownies passed away in 2013.

Wanta Wheels in located at 2745N 850W, Shipshewana, IN ,46565

The old phone # I have is 260-76807036

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Coker can't and won't "make" new rims for you. They have some rims in stock that are made by Vintage Rims in New Zealand (Coker's source) http://www.vintagerims.com/Split_Rims_Vintage_Rims.html Sizes not in stock can be in the next shipping container coming over.

BUT these are simple rolled steel rims. They have NONE of the specific features of the original rims on my car. They have no locks, they have no drive stud, they have not hole for the valve stem.

Isn't it always "caveat emptor" with Coker? I believe so.

Guest txphantom

Wow, that's weird, they quoted me 499.00 ea and a 4 week delivery. I ordered mine on the 20th of last month and should have them here in the next week or so.

Dave

I don't know what sort of game Coker is playing with you at $500 per rim. Corky Coker gets rims from Universal Tire (the US distributor for the NZ manufacturer) in which his sister is the majority owner. "Its all in the family" Look at this page: https://www.universaltire.com/vintage-rims/split-rims.html There is no rim there over $230.

Now if they TRULY are MAKING your specific rim that is different than all of those illustrated, then report the details here. Otherwise something sounds very very wrong.