Removing the Center Console

I need to reconnect the wires the the previous owner removed from the cigarette lighter socket. How do I remove the console to get access to the wiring?

It might not look like it but you don't need to pull the counsel to push the wires back on. You do need to pull the trim collar off the dash [ 2 screws then pull forward 4 spring clips] and pull down the carpet access. To get wires back in place you might need to use angled needle nose if your fingers are thick or arthritis is bad.

If your last owner pulled this wire for the same reason as my last owner did, you will find a corroded plug connect under the passanger seat and no power to the lighter socket. If your last owner also pulled the ground wire free from the socket you will need to lift the counsel. Pull both front seats, remove carpet cover, 2 screws under trim collar, screws in counsel storage area, side mount screws, [if auto tranny loosen allen screw that holds shift knob then pull off and indicator cable on passanger side] this gives you all the working space you need for this job. If you have to completely remove counsel be very careful when disconnecting seat switches as plastic plug socket and switch mounts are old and easy to break.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to work on the cigarette lighter problem. I was not able to unscrew the lighter so I went with Digger's advice. After removing the trim collar and the carpet access panels, reaching up to reconnect the lighter was a piece of cake. Thanks to Bill and Digger for your good advice and ultimate solution.

• 2 months later...
Guest TCBucky89

Can I use the same procedure to change out the lighter socket? Even though mine works, it is corroded and doesn't make good contact with the plugs for my GPS, Radar Detector, or phone chargers.

Can I use the same procedure to change out the lighter socket? Even though mine works, it is corroded and doesn't make good contact with the plugs for my GPS, Radar Detector, or phone chargers.

I remember reading that your light at the back of the counsel didn't work, if it wasn't the bulb you should check the wire harness - below the carpet on the passanger side while you have the seats up to work on the counsel and yes you can do this to change out the lighter socket.