how to take apart?

lucky 69

hi all ,just wanted to see if someone can tell how this comes apart? i need to remove the plastic center piece of this.? i want to paint it and i would think it would need to be removed before i send it off to get chromed.i wasn't sure how the chemicals they use would eat it up? i have a idea on i think to get it apart but want to be safe .first one i found in a 1 1/2 so want to be carefull .;) so let me know if ya know the way or a trick to get this done. oh ya one question ,what color of gold or any gold will do? thanks let me know stuff is getting harder to find theses days.

post-78704-143142399073_thumb.jpg

post-78704-143142399088_thumb.jpg

post-78704-143142399101_thumb.jpg

Edited by lucky 69
more pics (see edit history)

I believe that the metal pins that go through the back piece are peened over to lock the parts together. I would gently try to grind the peening off with a Dremel tool or something similar. I would then use a Super glue of some sort to re-fit the pieces after re-chroming. I think that once it's apart, glue will be the only thing to hold the pieces together again. You could also go here to try to find a better one....http://www.oldmoparts.com/Default.aspx

I believe that the metal pins that go through the back piece are peened over to lock the parts together. I would gently try to grind the peening off with a Dremel tool or something similar. I would then use a Super glue of some sort to re-fit the pieces after re-chroming. I think that once it's apart, glue will be the only thing to hold the pieces together again. You could also go here to try to find a better one....http://www.oldmoparts.com/Default.aspx
ok i thought that's the way i would have to do it .ya it look's like the metal pins go threw like you said..i figured i would have to use superglue or epoxy to put it all back together .just wanted to make sure before i try.thanks for the link ,i have that one.i emailed them and others trying to find one but no luck.i found this one on ebay and price was great.so i will work with it .i went nuts when i seen it lol.hope i can get the paint off by hand.not sure what i could use on plastic.but over 50 years might just flake off or might be a good adhesive for the new paint.also i am looking for left and right side rocker chrome trim piece's and small front left corner trim piece .also a front back of seat ashtray.i'm not sure why it inserted the wrong title of the thread lol oh well i changed it .thanks for the info on it .if anyone has or see someone else have theses parts please let me know.once i get theses i will have all parts for her finally .

You will have to tell us the year and model of your Chrysler before we can find exterior trim for you. Try here for the emblem....http://www.bigmauto.com/

or here....http://www.wildcatmopars.com/

it's a 1951 chrysler windsor deluxe .i got the emblem apart.it was just like you said.i use a dremel to smooth out one side and used a small drill bit to do the other.i couldn't fit the dremel on it .but didn't take off much and it was off .the little stud's still intact.i was surprised it came apart easy.so thankyou for the info and links .if ya here of any of the parts i asked about let me know .ready to buy. don't care on condition ,just as long as there straight .i'm going to have all trim re chromed anyway.

It should look like this when done. This is a NOS one. Colors are deep and vibrant. These are hard to find too as is any 1951-52 Chrysler chrome and trim.

Bob

ok so that,s why i was seeing red around the edges .not much i thought it was just something that got on the plastic.it's funny i seen a couple but the were just gold and black.i thought there was more to it .man that one you is nice.also i wonder if that's a transparent red or just a deep metallic red? sense it has a scheme to it .it almost looks like it's transparent then gold painted on top of it to give it deep color with that scheme .i will have to try it on something before i try it on the emblem it self .i'm am going to use this on .the plastic on it's not to bad .but it's been so hard to find .be surprised if i could find another one.plus i seen one of the plastic center piece on ebay a little back .it was n.o.s. and it was 300.00 i think for it .i would love to have one like you show in the picture but they go for high dollar.but they are worth it to.were else are you going to find one theses days .i paid 15 bucks for this one so i'm going to save it if i can.so any ideas on the color let me know please.thanks for posting pic's this will help me out alot . read also nest post i posted please thanks bob

Edited by lucky 69 (see edit history)

ok i got couple of questions .1. i been looking at picture's 51 chrysler windsor deluxe's online.im confused? i see the 4 doors and 2 doors that have gold and black center emblem's like i posted in the first post #1 and the convertible's have the gold red and black like picture in above post #7 so which is right ? is the convertible's the only ones that use the red gold and black emblem as posted above and the rest use just black and gold as in the picture of my first post? ok on to the next question will a set of long rocker panel chrome trim off a 1950 chrysler windsor deluxe fit on my 1951 chrysler windsor deluxe? please let me know if any one does .as far as the center emblem goes just want to make sure i am painting it right thanks

All models of 1951 chryslers grille emblems will look as the one I posted. 2 and 4 doors plus converts all use the same emblem and colors. It's stated in the parts book.

Some car owners paint them incorrectly when restoring a car as they have never seen what they looked like new.. Most people don't think there was any red.

Your emblem is just missing the red because of age and sun fading it out. Early Mopar plastic emblems fade fast in the sun and the bright out doors. Red is the first color to disappear!

All models of 1951 chryslers grille emblems will look as the one I posted. 2 and 4 doors plus converts all use the same emblem and colors. It's stated in the parts book.

Some car owners paint them incorrectly when restoring a car as they have never seen what they looked like new.. Most people don't think there was any red.

Your emblem is just missing the red because of age and sun fading it out. Early Mopar plastic emblems fade fast in the sun and the bright out doors. Red is the first color to disappear!

well thankyou for clearing it up.i didn't think they would use different emblems between the same model .thankyou for looking it up and helping me on this. it looks better in red .ok so do you think it is a transparent red with gold painted on top of the red ? so basically paint transparent red first the gold over that to get the deep red with schemer .let me know what ya think .trying to get as close as possible.

thanks bob,that is the exact one i have .but the red is gone as usual. thankyou for posting pictures for me.well is the second picture is that your collection? it is nice so many parts and shinny.you have a nice collection . it is nice to see what they look like originally . thanks larry