Carburetor Dye

Curti

I have a Carter BB1 that I rebuilt a few years ago. I was advised to boil it out, after removing parts, with plain water with a little detergent. A lot of gunk came out of the carb, but it changed the color to a light gold tint from the ? zink from before. Carb runs great, but why the color change?

Rick

Now THAT is interesting !

Just took some interesting photos at a local friend's shop today. The engine is a 1932 Stutz DV-32 on a dyno. They ran it with the factory updraft Shebler then a downdraft Stromberg EE-3 off a Packard V-12, then with the Winfield's shown in the photos. It ran 130 horse power on the factory updraft Shebler, then 160 with the Stromberg. The Webber added another 25 for a total of 184 horse power. I think I need to get some Webber's set up on my Pierce.

post-31625-143142478469_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142478492_thumb.jpg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

Would the Stromberg black carbs have been painted or with a black conversion coating?

Here's a link to a black conversion coating process: http://www.hubbardhall.com/Collateral/ProductBulletins/English-US/2232009.pdf

Here are 4 black Stromberg carbs on a 1934 Studebaker 250 cu in straight 8, as was being developed for the 1934 Indy race - the factory didn't go to the races that year due to receivership. I think these are EX-22 carbs (no choke stove). Were these painted or conversion-coated?

post-47871-143142478539_thumb.jpg

Jon, what is your favorite place to apply "New Jersey zinc di-chromate" on my EX32's

Curt - I honestly don't know. As the demand for our rebuilding kits has forced us to cease carburetor restorations (we haven't done a carb in almost 3 years), I don't know who currently is still doing the chromate on zinc. I would check with your favorite chrome plater, as the waste treatment facility would be the same for both processes.

Jon.

I have known my plater for 20+ years, I know he doesn't do it. Someone suggested Daytona re-builders in Florida, I'll call them when I am ready. I get very nervous dealing with some new when the carbs are as rare as these are.

They have to be right the first time.

• 3 weeks later...

The carbs on the 34 Stude look like Auburn linkage set up's. The shop I work with manufactures this style linkage as well as many others. Ed.

Here are 4 black Stromberg carbs on a 1934 Studebaker 250 cu in straight 8, as was being developed for the 1934 Indy race - the factory didn't go to the races that year due to receivership. I think these are EX-22 carbs (no choke stove). Were these painted or conversion-coated?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]244159[/ATTACH]