1955 Olds Super 88 convertible

Guest Packardsforever

Guest Packardsforever

I'm looking at a 55 Olds Super 88 conv. that's in avg. #3 condition. I can't find any comparables for this car---what is the value of this thing?

Paint is avg.

chrome is better than avg.

interior is good

dash is good

engine is good (needs carb rebuild)

undercarriage is dirty with surface rust but no rust through

GM convertibles of the 50's are slightly hard to find, and good ones harder to pay for.....I'm not an expert, but have been looking for one for a while and nothing fits condition nor pocketbook....my opinion only, the 55 Olds is good, 56 better, 57/58 are more sought after.

Project cars are 10K, a good driver seems to be in the 25-30K range, with show cars over 40-50K....from your description, my wild a** guess is the car you're looking at is a 16K-20Kcar, but without seeing pictures or seeing the car hard to pin down....good luck!

• 1 month later...

I think the $16 K to $20 K that "trimacar" is a pretty good idea on what this car is worth. I do agree that good drivers sell for more ($25 K-$30 K) but since you said that the engine is good but needs a carb rebuild, I am not sure what issues may be there. May times simple problems are assumed by the seller and the problems are much greater when you start analyzing after the purchase. If the car sat for long periods of time, the fuel tank may need to be replaced, etc. Timing, RPMs and fuel are inter related and many times "adjustments" are made that mask the true problem. If the car is running poorly, I would assume the worse and stay on the low end so you do not get burned. If it really is only a carburetor issue, then value may be higher and you may want to consider the higher price indicated for a good driver. Ultimately, price is determined by the willingness of the buyer to purchase and the desire of the seller to sell. Good luck