Wind Turbine Test Car-What Is It?

48Super

I came across this interesting picture while working on a project for the York County Historic Trust (York, PA). The car pictured is outfitted to serve as a test vehicle for small wind turbines. These were popular in rural areas prior widespread electrification. The picture was taken sometime in the mid to late 1930's and it is marked on the back "Wind Turbine Company, West Chester, PA". What make and year is the car? I can't imagine what it must have been like driving this crazy thing with that huge blade spinning around right over your head!

post-42951-143142394341_thumb.jpg

That is the design of this particular turbine. Look closely and you'll see that the side opposite the propeller blade is different. It looks like it has a counter balance feature built in. I have another picture showing the same turbine unit installed on a tower and it also has a single blade.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking 1925 model 236.

You could very well be correct on the year, though it could also be a 336. In any event, it's an extremely rare car available between 1922-26. Called the "Sport," a predecessor to the Speedsters with its lower and narrower than normal body. It is identified by both doors being front-hinged. The regular models had front-opening rear doors. We did a story on the series in the May/June 2013 issue of Antique Automobile. Only about a handful exist. I believe the 1926 models incorporated a one-piece windshield, so 1925 is a good guess.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> West,

Thanks for mentioning the article in the May/June 2013 Antique Automobile, I just read it on line and was very interested, having owned a 1922 Packard 126 Sport for many years. The photo at the end of the article was particularly interesting as it shows a Sport with wire wheels the same as those on my car came which, incidentally, are Rudge Whitworth centre lock mounted on a large spline. The picture appears to be from Packard literature and if so it would be the first I have seen showing wire wheels.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->