Fluid Drive capacity

Page 40 of my Owner Manual list capacities including: "Transmission - Fluid Drive (refill) - 3 pints." I just added fluid (10W SAE motor oil) to solve a lack of trust and acceleration. But my fluid drive greedily drank down 2 quarts and wanted more, which I didn't have. The trust and acceleration was greatly resolved but not 100%. What is the real capacity of the Fluid Drive?

Nobody knows. They did not recommend ever changing the oil in the Fluid Drive unit itself. The 3 pints is the transmission which is filled separately.

As you know, the fill hole in the floor of the car is located so that the filler on the Fluid Drive is turned to the 1 O'clock position when filling. If you fill it till the oil starts to come out, it is full. There must be some air space for expansion when it gets hot.

Nobody knows. They did not recommend ever changing the oil in the Fluid Drive unit itself. The 3 pints is the transmission which is filled separately.

As you know, the fill hole in the floor of the car is located so that the filler on the Fluid Drive is turned to the 1 O'clock position when filling. If you fill it till the oil starts to come out, it is full. There must be some air space for expansion when it gets hot.

I followed the instructions provided on this site and it worked perfectly. I just wasn't prepared for the quantity. I'll add more next time I do work in that area. Thanks.

Ron

Rusty gave good advise as to how to fill it.

The Fluid Drive unit normally does not need service unless it is leaking. Since yours took a lot of fluid, unless yours was drained for a reason, I'm concerned you may have a bad seal. The seal is located in the center of the unit so the unit will only drain 50% of the fluid when the seal goes bad vs 100% of the fluid if it was intentionally drained. Since you were able to drive the car somewhat, I guessing you were half full. Now that you have filled it, watch for puddles on the floor.

But you are correct, there is a big difference when the unit is full versus half full. It is like the propeller on a boat. If it is partially submerged you won't go very far or fast, but put in down in the water and you will go.

Good luck.

Ron

Guest markrush

As I recall, the gasket on the Fluid Drive plug was copper, right? Does any one know what size? I'd like to have a new one ready next time I check the fluid.