another one from cuba 22

Guest renephotography

Renephotography,

Since you are interested in these American cars I will use your photos to give some lessons, at least on the Chevrolets.

Keep in mind all of the Cuban cars have been modified over the years and often it is difficult to determine exactly what model they originally were.

From 1953 through 1957 Chevys were marketed in three trim levels -- 150, 210 and Bel Air. The 150 was the low price model with virtually no chrome trim except the grille and bumpers.

We'll start with 1953's since there are several examples in your photos. This photo, number 22 and photo 25 are Bel Airs, the highest price model. Photo 24 is a 210 which was priced between the 150 and the Bel Air. Of course, the interiors also varied with the price; 150's were very sparse, Bel Airs quite nice inside with 210's falling between.

Notice the rear fender trim in this photo is sort of a scoop. Originally the scoop would have been painted a color which contrasted with the body color. A dark colored car would have a white scoop, a white car would have a black or colored scoop. In a two-tone paint scheme the scoop would match the top and usually the interior would coordinate with the exterior colors.

Now go to photo 24 to look at a 210 series.

And it has (had?) a standard transmission. If automatic it would have had "Powerglide" on the trunk handle.

Now who really needed to know that tidbit? this has turned into quite a display of automotive trivia, hasn't it?

Don

I'll use some photos I have taken to continue my "lesson" on 1953 (and 1954) Chevrolets.

Below are a 1954 BelAir hardtop and a 1953 210 Club Coupe, both photographed at Charlotte in 2010 and 2009 respectively.

post-36901-143142393258_thumb.jpg

The red 1954 illustrates the contrasting color in the rear fender trim which was the most striking feature of the up-level BelAir in 1953 and 1954. The 210 has a single chrome strip on the side and the 150 had no chrome at all except for the grille and bumpers and around the windshield. even window moldings were black rubber on the 150; sorry but I don't have a photo of a 150 for these years. Most of the restored cars are the higher level, more attractive models. Of course, interiors were also upgraded in the BelAir as compared with the lower 210 and 150 trim levels.

The bumper guards on both cars were accessories as are the wheel covers, sun visor and the ornaments atop the front fenders on the red 1954 auto. The blue 210 has standard "dog dish" hubcaps.

Let's compare body styles with the car in the original post, a 1953 BelAir 2-door sedan. The hardtop body style (red) has no pillar between the door and rear window glass when the windows are rolled down, similar to a convertible. The 2-door sedan has a permanent post there. The "postless" convertible-like feature is what was commonly referred to as a "hardtop" in the US. The club coupe (white/blue) is very similar to the 2-door sedan but if you look closely the passenger compartment is smaller on the coupe allowing a longer, larger trunk. The coupe style was less popular than the sedan and was aimed at salesmen, etc. where the trade off of less rear legroom for more cargo space was advantageous.

Compare the grille of the original car in this post (1953) with the red one (1954). The grille, taillights and trunk handle were the only obvious differences between the two years.

Are you bored yet? I think I'm going on too long.

Don

post-36901-143142393244_thumb.jpg