1930 Model A Station Wagon - How many leaf springs for conversion?

Guest ebruns1

Guest ebruns1

Hello,

On my way to converting my existing frame to a station wagon. Just wanted to be sure if all the wagons all had 10 leaf springs, or if they had 8. Not sure what my frame came from as there is no original rear body left. Would you recommend changing them out to the 10's if I only have 8, or if they will handle the load. Thanks guys!

Yes, the station wagon (150A & B) used a 10 leaf rear spring but there are 3 different 10 leaf rear springs used in Model A production. The part no. A-5560-E is the correct spring for the wagon and is also used on the pickups and light panel deliveries. The difference is in the arch of the spring which has a lot to do with the stiffness and support. It may be difficult to distinguish between them without a reference. There is a spring chart included in the book 'The Model A Ford' by George DeAngelis, Edward Francis and Leslie Henry.

• 1 month later...
Guest Spedar

Jim - unless you intend to use your Station Wagon as a commercial vehicle and haul pianos, I would suggest you consider using an 8 leaf rear spring. I've GreatRace'd my '29 Wagon three times across country, and have been very happy with the ride my 10 leaf converted to an 8 leaf gave me. I also used tubular shocks since I could not find a good set of Houdies when I restored mine - and after 18K miles, have found them to be a great compromise - if you can stand the appearance of them... Best of luck with yours....