'42 window buttons by knobsoup

Keith L.

Most owners of 1942 Lincolns retrofit their window riser issues. The windows of the cars were vacuum assisted and they weren’t that reliable. In fact they made a vacuum escape button on the door panel just in case the window failed. Planning for failure?

Last year John Murphy came up with a retrofit using the long limo switches married to the ’46-’48 switches. Here’s a photo of the mold and first test pour. Color is off. When cast in ’42 cream they worked great. Mold is three part.

Last week a customer wanting to retain the look of the original ’42 vacuum button asked me to make buttons and escutcheons to attach to a modern rocker switch. Here are the results. The hardest part of the whole process was finding an original button. The original button shown is an escape button, not the window riser button.

You know, offen I don't get a lot of replies here on the forum, however, wherever I get an order yooz guys always tell me they read and follow me on the forum. I appreciate that and it encourages me to post more often.

Keith

post-31184-143142385308_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142385314_thumb.jpg

Well Keith I am lucky because I own a 1940 Cabriolet and have always had to manually crank up the windows. Is there a way that those of us that have lost your catalog on a PDF file could access it again? I also need to order your new 1940 Steering Wheel, keep up the good work you are a real artisan.

Ron

Ron,

Per your request, here are the order forms for all the Lincoln years. My colorful price list catalog is being updated with new items, however they are included on the order forms. When it get done I'll post it. Any questions, Call me if any of you have questions. Phone and email numbers are on the order form.

Keith

Order form 1942-48. 2014.pdf

Order form '41 steering Wheel_2014.pdf

Order form '40 Steering Wheel_2014.pdf

Order form 1938_2014.pdf

Order form 1941_ 2014.pdf

Order form 1937_2014.pdf

Order form 1940_ 2014.pdf

Order form 1939_2014.pdf

Thank you for the offer, however last November Ken Harris graciously lent me his '39 speedo and clock faces to mold. I just haven't got around to making the molds yet. Too many plates spinning in the air.

While were on the subject of '39 knobs, attached is a photo of the knobs and interior items I made for Ken. The hardest part in making the molds were the radio wheels. The original '39 radio knob plastic were cast onto metal shafts. (see photo). Ken borrowed a nice set of originals with plastic intact and he also had a set of just the metal shafts. I had to make a mold of the entire knob with the metal shaft intact then make a plastic cast of it,cut/sand off the plastic gear and drill the correct size hole to receive the old metal shafts. Attached is the photo of the original and the first cast of the entire plastic wheel (cast in bright yellow) before I cut off the plastic gear and drilled the hole for the metal shaft.

The bottom line is for those of you who do not have original metal inserts and you don’t use the radio, you can dummy-up the ’39 radio using the wheels with the plastic gears.

post-31184-143142393881_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142393885_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142393892_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142393896_thumb.jpg

post-31184-143142393901_thumb.jpg