1930 Ford Model A Boattail Speedster? Need Station Wagon Plans!

Guest ebruns1

Guest ebruns1

Hello,

I recently purchased a boattail speedster in need of restoration, however I would like to re-build it into a station wagon. Does anyone know where I may purchase a good set of measured drawings? Also, was the boattail a legitimate version of the Model A? I could also re-build it as the veneer is all bubbled and in bad shape. It's over a poorly done wood substrate that has not held up with the humidity and weather. Thanks for any leeds on the plans!!! I can't believe how difficult it is to locate, even on Google!post-99044-143142382187_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of my car. Did a version of this exist in the 30's?

Thanks,

Jim

New original style station wagon bodies are available from S & S Industries in DeWittville, NY. 716-753-2238. I think they run in the 6 - 7 thousand dollar range. They also sell all the metal hardware you'll need to complete a body. These kits cost about the same as the bodies. They make a really nice product and buying a new body might be cheaper in the long run than building your own as these bodies are very difficult to construct correctly. You'll still have to find seat springs and some misc. hardware. Good luck with your project.

Guest Rob McDonald

Good choice. I think you'll find a woodie wagon much more pleasurable than a badly built skiff. $7000 for a professionally constructed body that only requires finishing - the fun part! - sounds like a real bargain.

Guest ebruns1

Thanks for all the information fella's, you guys are great! Looking forward to start the build. Jeff, I would love to look at your parts and make patterns if you are local, thanks for the offer. I'm in New Hope, PA. I have two further questions on the Model A wagon.

1. What was the typical wood species used? I have seen some examples with white oak and some with ash. Does anyone know what came from the factory?

2. Was the filler transition from the sheet metal cowl to the front door posts made from wood or steel? Again, I have seen examples where it is painted to match the cowl, and I have seen it as wood finish.

3. Is the top windshield filler piece wood or steel, and is that part available from any parts suppliers (can't seem to find)? I would like to fit mine with the sun visor too, and I assume it was an optional item as some examples have them and others do not. Any thoughts?

These questions may be self evident once I receive the plans I ordered from the club, but just thinking ahead. I can't find any of the station wagon parts listed from any of the suppliers. If someone knows who stocks them please drop me a note.

Thanks again guys!!!

Ford specifications required that wagon bodies be made from hard or soft maple with exterior grade birch paneling. Roof slats were made from basswood. Bodies were finished in a high gloss spar varnish. Only '28-'29 wagons had the visor; it was eliminated on the '30-31's. The header panel above the windshield is steel ,but I'm not sure if it's specific to the wagons or if it is the standard header for the cars. The '30-'31 header cap is available from the company listed in my previous post. There is no "filler strip on the "A"pillar as such; the cowl pillar has a sheet metal piece that's attached to the pillar (I'm not sure if it's welded or bolted) to which the "piano"style door hinge is fastened. I don't believe that this part is available but if you call they could tell you. Again, almost all the metal parts for the bodies are available from S & S Industries at 716-753-2238. I would highly recommend considering a pre-built body unless you are a very experienced woodworker, especially if you want an authentic car, as they are complicated. The steel parts are the real rub because they are the structure to the body! Homemade wooden bodies don't sell very well if you want to sell the car later,IMO. A side note.. all station wagons came in only one paint scheme, Manilla Brown with black fenders and wheels. Hardware was black for '28-'29 and black or manilla brown for '30-'31. The tips of the windshield pillars on '30-'31 wagons are different than other body styles.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ebruns1
cant tell what year your model a is. but I have SOME original wood that could be used for patterns if you were interested in building your own wood.

Jeff (or anyone who can help),

I would love to measure whatever parts you have available. The measured plans arrived from the NWC and seem quite simple, however I'm somewhat doubtful of their authenticity. I thought they would be copies from the Ford museum or other authentic source, instead they were an attempt by someone who documented their own woody build using a Dodge cowl! I would really liked to have something "official" if such documentation exists. I'm surprised the club doesn't have this in their archives. If anyone knows of "FORD" issued schematics please let me know. My only other option would be to create my own set of as-builts from direct measurements. Ideally I'm looking for a 1930 year wagon since that's the body I have. I found a replacement cowl to work on while I try to nail down the plans.

It seems the rear end of the wagon is cantilevered out past the end of the sub frame. Do you know if there was any steel supports extended out, or just the wood floor rails? Also, were the floor sub-rails made from the similar maple that the rest of the wood body was made from? I was thinking of using oak since it's stronger and will probably be painted black anyway. I want to make it as strong torsionally as possible. From my plans it appears the floor boards are two different heights. The front seats and forward are shown at one level, and then the back has an overlay of 3/4 by 6 floor boards installed over the wood frame. Is that how the originals were made by Ford? Thanks for your help!

All the body including the subframes are made from wood, there is no steel structure in a wagon body. There is a steel pan with a hump that covers the opening over the rear spring and a steel pan under the twin seat area for storage of the side curtains. There are several steel gussets that give the body its rigidity that are bolted along the top rail. All joints are mortise and tennon or finger joints I believe that give strength to the several sections that compose the body. There is a lot of specialty iron work that is used in an "A" wagon body. Any body that is built correctly and to Ford specifications will be plenty strong enough as many have lasted more than 80 years. If you plan on building your own body, you should make sure that you order lumber that is all kiln dried to the same water content and cut in the same grain pattern to prevent problems from expansion and warpage. Ford used a lead based sealer on all open joints to seal them from the weather before assembly and final finishing. Some of the structual wood on the body is laminated and not cut from a single piece. Still, if you want an authentic car ,I'd really suggest buying a repro body but if you're not looking for that ,have at it! Last question, why would you paint the wood black?