Newbie looking for help

Guest BeeEffe

Guest BeeEffe

Hello everyone!</SPAN></SPAN>

My name is Maurizio, an Italian and American car enthusiast based in Milan. I signed up to this forum as I have got the crazy idea of buying a TC and importing it to Italy, mostly because I’d like to participate in Maserati’s Centenary celebration with a truly unique car (at least here in Europe). Plus a TC combines both my love of Italian cars with that for US Cars :D</SPAN></SPAN>

I have my eyes set on a manual car with the DOHC engine. Now, I must admit I know close to zero about the inner details of how cars work so it’s very hard for me to figure out the shape of a car based on ads and eBay pages. I am not looking for a basket case that needs fixing but given I am not Bill Gates and would have to add to the price of the car: transportation, import duties (over 30% of the value!) and local registration taxes, I need to make sure I don’t overpay.</SPAN></SPAN>

Having said all that, I have seen there is a nice car on sale right now on eBay and would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions to help me make my dream come true!</SPAN></SPAN>

Alternatively, if you know of any cars on sale that would fit my target, I’d greatly appreciate any input.</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks and happy motoring,</SPAN></SPAN>

Maurizio</SPAN></SPAN>

Maurizio,

I have looked at the TC for sale on eBay and it looks very clean based on the pictures. Should you buy this, it will not be the only TC in Europe as I know of 3 of them in Spain, but since you live in Milan you would be able to drive to the factory were it was made. There are a coupe of things that can go wrong with any TC and you would have to get parts from the U.S. The mileage is a little high and that would bother me and the other concern is the engine which looks super, but they ony made 500 of them and parts and knowledgable mechanics would be extremely hard to come by. A total of 7,300 TC's were made so that gives you an idea of parts availability. The interior looks very clean and well cared for with 96K miles. I would guess that the price will get to $5,000 to $6,000.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob

Guest BeeEffe

And by the way, yes there are a few TCs in Europe, but all of the ones I've come across are autos. Nothing wrong with that per se, but figured if I get one, I should try to shoot for one of the manual cars which tend to be a bit more rare and with a few extra ponies.

Maurizio,

I have looked at the TC for sale on eBay and it looks very clean based on the pictures. Should you buy this, it will not be the only TC in Europe as I know of 3 of them in Spain, but since you live in Milan you would be able to drive to the factory were it was made. There are a coupe of things that can go wrong with any TC and you would have to get parts from the U.S. The mileage is a little high and that would bother me and the other concern is the engine which looks super, but they ony made 500 of them and parts and knowledgable mechanics would be extremely hard to come by. A total of 7,300 TC's were made so that gives you an idea of parts availability. The interior looks very clean and well cared for with 96K miles. I would guess that the price will get to $5,000 to $6,000.

Good luck with your decision.

Bob

I agree with Bob, from the E-bay pictures and story the car looks and sounds right. Only, and I do mean only; because it's February, do I think the bidding fall off somewhere around $3,500, you could add a thousand to that if this was the end of March and by the beginning of July demand for colector convertibles peaks and prices start to drop. If you can get one now it's a good time to buy.

Maurizio;

From the description and pictures the car looks nice, and the rebuilt engine would be a plus, of course.

I don't know a lot about these, as I'm mainly a Ford and GM guy, but aren't these based on the much more pedestrian "K" car platform? Then there should be considerable parts interchange, except for the TC specific things, naturally.

I remember these when they were new, not common then, and here in the rusty North, I haven't seen one in many years.

The other thing I notice, is that there is a reserve on it, so who knows how realistic it is? Won't know till its' over.

Anyway, and rather neat and cool car, good luck with your hunt!

Keith

NO, it is not based on a K platform. It is based on the much better G platform of the Dodge Daytona, Chrysler Laser (both 2dr hatchbacks), Dodge Lancer, Chrysler GTS LeBaron 4dr hatchbacks, and the 87-95 LeBaron 2dr coupe and convertible. The closest mechanicals would be from the 87 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. The windshield/cowl area is also used by the 87 Chrysler LeBaron convertible. The Kcars had a much simpler suspension/steering setup and magazines of the time praised the 84 Daytona for the huge improvement in design.

While looking at ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Other-Maserati-1989-chrysler-tc-maserati- found a good looking red 16v turbo 4 manual tranny in Florida with 88-k-miles-service-records- 0 bids and a $2,500 reserve, cost less to ship across the pond from Florida than through the canel. Also found one that I have to go back and bid on, do not like the color, never have, but it's a private seller no reserve low mile 89 turbo with auto, just got shipping quote [ CA to MN is 3 times more than my NY car ] as sometimes feeler bids are winning bids I have to deduct shipping from value, or drive it home.

The red TC in Florida is at Space Coast Honda in Cocoa, FL. and they have an "internet price" on it of $6,991 based on the car lots advertisement. The only thing I can see wrong with it is that the drivers floor mat looks a little worn and the antenna does not go all the way down. Interior looks real sharp. EBay ad says it is the 1031 made in Italy and that is not correct. Maurizio, when the dealerships sold a TC they sent an order into the company that was making the plaques and he number them in sequence as he received them.

Bob

Guest BeeEffe

Guest BeeEffe

Thanks Bill!

On another note, I have had a thrawl through the forum and it seems these cars don't seem to have fundamental mechanical issues, beside the usual things to be expected from 20+ year old cars. Is there anything in particular you guys think I need to get looked at? Grazie :)

While looking at ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Other-Maserati-1989-chrysler-tc-maserati- found a good looking red 16v turbo 4 manual tranny in Florida with 88-k-miles-service-records- 0 bids and a $2,500 reserve, cost less to ship across the pond from Florida than through the canel. Also found one that I have to go back and bid on, do not like the color, never have, but it's a private seller no reserve low mile 89 turbo with auto, just got shipping quote [ CA to MN is 3 times more than my NY car ] as sometimes feeler bids are winning bids I have to deduct shipping from value, or drive it home.

If that is the yellow one in SoCal please look at the last two auctions (in the last month) under completed listings (look at left column of search page for that option). It has sold twice in the last month but bidders with no or almost no history. Just something to take into consideration on an auction that doesn't give enough time for most people to look at or have someone look at the car.

From the look of your picture you won't fit in a tc!

If you're refering to my picture I do tend to rub the roof of most cars, thus my attachment to convertibles. If you're talking about sumo picture the TC is a much better fit than most 20 year old Toyota's or Fiat's. I'm pretty sure that's a 20 year old picture and except for one out of date colochialism's Maurizio writes like a native borne American and if I'm rite on the age of the picture, the man in the picture doesn't.

Guest BeeEffe

Thanks again guys!

My avatar on all car fora is Konishiki, a former sumo wrestler because I used to live in Japan and I used to be rather heavier than I am today (nowhere near his size though!).

I am a newbie to eBay too (all my previous car purchases have been from local dealers, let alone from auctions held in other continents) and have started to notice a few odd things on car auctions.

All in all, I am not looking to get a once in a lifetime deal or a hidden gem, just a fair deal. Let's hope for the best and thanks again :)

"I am a newbie to eBay too (all my previous car purchases have been from local dealers, let alone from auctions held in other continents) and have started to notice a few odd things on car auctions."

You may want to keep an eye on craigslist as well. Can find some good deals on there. However I am a firm believer in go look at it or have some one you know in the area go look at it if you are not able too.

Hello everyone!

My name is Maurizio, an Italian and American car enthusiast based in Milan. I signed up to this forum as I have got the crazy idea of buying a TC and importing it to Italy, mostly because I’d like to participate in Maserati’s Centenary celebration with a truly unique car (at least here in Europe). Plus a TC combines both my love of Italian cars with that for US Cars :D

I have my eyes set on a manual car with the DOHC engine. Now, I must admit I know close to zero about the inner details of how cars work so it’s very hard for me to figure out the shape of a car based on ads and eBay pages. I am not looking for a basket case that needs fixing but given I am not Bill Gates and would have to add to the price of the car: transportation, import duties (over 30% of the value!) and local registration taxes, I need to make sure I don’t overpay.

Having said all that, I have seen there is a nice car on sale right now on eBay and would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions to help me make my dream come true!

Alternatively, if you know of any cars on sale that would fit my target, I’d greatly appreciate any input.

You will note the link to allpar.com at the bottom of my list of cars currently owned, there you can read all about this very car.

Thanks and happy motoring,

Maurizio

Greetings Maurizio,

As I wrote in another link with that yellow TC with the 16 valve engine, it was mine and it would be an excellent car for you to buy since the engine has such low mileage since I "upgraded" it to use easily available reciprocating parts, should it ever need it.

There was nothing wrong with the engine as it was in 'stock' form, however I have been a Chrysler mechanic for 52 years and when I bought it, I wanted to do it 'MY' way.

I can supply more information if you like, just contact me privately at my email address. Check out the link below to read all about this car.

Hello everyone!

My name is Maurizio,

Having said all that, I have seen there is a nice car on sale right now on eBay and would greatly appreciate any tips and suggestions to help me make my dream come true!]

You missed on this one, this time. Reserve was not met so there may still be a chance. High bid was $4,800.00

Edited by Hemi Dude
Correction (see edit history)

Guest BeeEffe

Actually thanks to Hemi Dude I realised the car I was bidding on (item: 231151246611) had an engine transplant (not a rebuild as advertised in the ebay ad) and a transmission swap. Unfortunately, as the car looks very solid, I do need a 100% original car in order to register it here in Italy as a historic vehicle, which grants me substantial road tax/registration/insurance savings.</SPAN></SPAN>

Will keep you posted!</SPAN></SPAN>

Actually thanks to Hemi Dude I realized the car I was bidding on (item: 231151246611) had an engine transplant (not a rebuild as advertised in the ebay ad) and a transmission swap. Unfortunately, as the car looks very solid, I do need a 100% original car in order to register it here in Italy as a historic vehicle, which grants me substantial road tax/registration/insurance savings.

Will keep you posted!

Hello again, please let me set you straight.

If you looked at the allpar site, you read about my yellow and my red TC. The red car is the one that has had the transaxle swap and ABS brake conversion. The engine is still the original one with 273 thousand miles on it now. I have built engines for 50 years. I was even mechanic on Bo's General Lee, if you know what car that was.

The yellow one (item: 231151246611) is not changed except for the crankshaft and the 4 connecting rods. It has instead, the forged crankshaft used in the standard 2.2L TC engine. That is all. It is totally stock otherwise.

As I wrote earlier, the engine is number correct. This car can be considered 100% original in every way.

Check on buying connecting rod bearings for the TC Maserati 2.2L 16v engine, then you will understand why I made the crankshaft exchange to stock 2.2L USA engines. Bearings readily available.

Guest BeeEffe

Oh my bad! I got confused between the two cars. I see the yellow one is still on sale at the dealer, will contact them right away!

Again, a big thank you to Hemi Dude :)

Hello again, please let me set you straight.

If you looked at the allpar site, you read about my yellow and my red TC. The red car is the one that has had the transaxle swap and ABS brake conversion. The engine is still the original one with 273 thousand miles on it now. I have built engines for 50 years. I was even mechanic on Bo's General Lee, if you know what car that was.

The yellow one (item: 231151246611) is not changed except for the crankshaft and the 4 connecting rods. It has instead, the forged crankshaft used in the standard 2.2L TC engine. That is all. It is totally stock otherwise.

As I wrote earlier, the engine is number correct. This car can be considered 100% original in every way.

Check on buying connecting rod bearings for the TC Maserati 2.2L 16v engine, then you will understand why I made the crankshaft exchange to stock 2.2L USA engines. Bearings readily available.

I come from a car selling family, my dad was Ford, Lincoln Mercury for most of his professional life, we even had what we called the Ford Chevy line as dad’s cousin across the highway ran the Cadillac store and every family owned dealership north of that highway was GM, going south was all Ford. One day my accountant told me I needed to buy a new car and how much I had to spend before the end of the year, unable to justify wasting money on a brand new car, I started looking for something pricey and used. The day I told my dad I was going to buy the black Jaguar off one of his friend’s car lots he flipped and then he sent me to DownTown Jag. The general manager was supposed to talk me out of buying a used Jag, long story short, our dad’s were such good friends that the man grew up calling my dad uncle Bob and he wholesaled me a white one with a pedigree.

What he told me and what has proven to be true for all the years since, is that when buying any used vehicle, especially a pricy one; pedigree is important and knowing where a car came from and how well it’s been cared for means more than the difference in price. I can’t think of a better pedigree for this yellow turbo stick, than having been in Hemi’s hands.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BeeEffe

Just to let you know that I haven’t given up the search ;)

Thanks again for all your input and support!</SPAN></SPAN>

Guest dkrom

I have an 89, 8v 3 speed automatic, odometer broken at 67,000 or so. Runs great, needs work, my wife says she will sell it for not less than $3000. We have some good photos that we could email you. Thanks, Nomad