1940 zephyr engine restoration

Guest jraynal

Guest jraynal

Question: does anyone know where a good resource is for the 1940 Lincoln V12 flathead engine and gear box?

I am going to start my 1940 Lincoln zephyr engine and gear box restoration. The car has been in my family since it was bought new and it has been stored in a garage for the past 40 years. It was parked after some engine troubles that my grandfather couldn't fix.

Any help is appreciated.

Guest jraynal

Peecher, Thank you for yourquick response. Does anyone know if there is a list of common issues and things to "watch" for during disassemblyand reassembly of the V12 and gear box? Any help is appreciated since I am very unfamiliar with these older engines and power trains.

-Jeff

Use the search feature of this forum and decide if you want the engine bone stock, or will make improvements inside where no one can see. eg. 8BA Ford lifters, Melling M15 oil pump, cam regrind for adjustable lifters, PCV valve, etc.

I just bought a bunch of transmission parts from Van Pelt Sales. He seems to know our stuff well.

Abe

jraynal,

Welcome to the hobby of "Zephyrs". A few tips, take many pictures and tag everything you remove. Take no short cuts, do not try and start it before opening it up. I

assume you joined the "Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club". Great club and publication. Ask questions! If you are" hands on" , purchase some books--Motors Repair Manual, Lincol

repair manuals, dig in and get your hands dirty! It is a great feeling when you hear that V12 fire up and come back to life! Good luck! Larry

I used Egge machine for all my engine rebuild part. They had pistons, rings, bearings and gaskets in stock. I replaced the valves with straight stem valves, one piece guides and new springs.Water pumps, coil and dist went to Skip in Fl. This thing runs like a clock. Good luck with your rebuild.

My '41 sedan was also in the family since new and I finally got it done (if that can ever be claimed) in November. I've learned a lot from this forum, particularly people like Dee Peecher, and from the club magazine. Shoot me an email at daspring42@gmail.com and I'll help you get a copy of the V12 Engine Repair Manual. We look forward to hearing about your progress. Send pictures.

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 60 copies of "The Way of the Zephyr" from the early 1970's into the 1980's. I could go through and sort the ones with engine rebuild articles for $6 each. There might be around 15 or so. There is good first hand experience documented there. PM if you are interested.

Bernie