Removal of inside door handleand window handles

Guest Old Codger

Guest Old Codger

I need to remove the inside door handle and window handles to get to the window tracks to remove old grease and re-do.

I know to use the clip tool to get to the clip and spring that holds the handles in place...The problem is..on the door handle, the interior is really puckered around the handle, meaning it is drawn tight by the spring pushing into the side panel...

I'm afraid if I keep trying, I'm going to rip the side panel to get to that clip.

Is it possible to remove all the screws holding the panel in place, also around the metal holding the window ledge, then holding back the panel enough to get to the clip from the back, using a dental pick with a hook on it, to get to that clip?

I've tried using a thin piece of steel to get between the handle, there should be a large washer in there, forcing it against the side panel, giving me enough room to slip the clip removal tool in. No luck...Still afraid I'll rip the side panel.

.post-85823-143142374391_thumb.jpg

.post-85823-143142374408_thumb.jpg

Ideas?

Old Codger

post-85823-143142374399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Old Codger (see edit history)

Guest Old Codger

Woops, it is the window crank...The only thing I can come up with is to take all of the screws loose, and peel back the panel to see if I can get to that "C" clip with something that has a hook on the end to see if I can snag that clip.

Old Codger

Guest Old Codger

Progress report.....S.O.B.:(:(:(

I took the window frame off, and was able to peel back the top of the side panel, so I could see what I'm doing. I used a large common screwdriver to get between the washer and the knob. And pushed against the washer to get it back towards the panel, where I could see the groove and where the clip is supposed to be....I don't know if those clips were original or not, but there sure isn't any ears on the end, so the clip removal tool would work...

SO., with three hands and the dog...I was able to work the dental pick to the groove, holding back with the large common screwdriver against that washer, pushing everything inward...

I did get the dental pick hooked to one of the ears. So It's one down, and two to go. The one that I just took out is the top right in the photo. The wing window.

I've come in to take a break, get some self control, before I go out and try and tackle the door handle...I think I can get it from the top like I did with the wing window.

It's that bottom window handle that's going to be a bear....

However,,,,It''s starting to snow pretty hard outside, and I don't have anything better to do.:rolleyes:

Old Codger

Guest Old Codger

Break time again....Couldn't get the clip out with the dental pick on the door handle...SO...out to the shop to make a tool...I have a very small common screw driver, I put in the vice to put a bend in it. Then took it to the grinder to make the edge small enough to fit into that slot the clip is in... For a back up, too, another larger common screw driver, and ran it on the grinder, to put almost a knife edge on it, so it will fit into that groove to catch one of the ears of the clip.

On this first photo, this shows pretty good of the washer and the clip. Also of how I had to use that large screw driver to hold the washer away from the handle that has the clip in it. Then I could get the dental pick in to where the clip fits in the groove and snag it.

post-85823-143142378433_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows just the clip...I really don't think that is an original clip, because if you look close at each end they do not protrude out very much, therefore it makes it next to impossible for one of those clip removal tools to snag each of the ears, pushing them away from the groove. And clips I have ever seen, the ears protrude out and away, maybe 1/16 of a inch away from the groove, allowing the clip removal tool to catch it each end of the clip.

In the third photo, is the dental pick I used, and how I was able to catch one of the ears in the groove of the handle itself. Actually, it is upside down. I used the hook of the pick to snag one of the ears and once I pulled up on the ear, then the whole clip popped out. WHEW!!!!!

On the last photo, you can see where I have the dental pick in that groove to catch the clip...Also if you look at the bottom of the handle, where there should be one of the ears of that clip showing, there isn't any...This makes me think those clips are not original...Also, any door handle clips I've ever removed, were silver in color, not this copper/brass color..

All of this, just to get three door handles off, so I can remove the old grease, and re-grease the tracks, and cranks, just to make the windows go up and down smoothly :):):)

And this is only one door!!!!!!

Time out for a cigar, or a few puffs anyway!!!!!

Old Codger

post-85823-143142378405_thumb.jpg

post-85823-143142378415_thumb.jpg

post-85823-143142378425_thumb.jpg

Guest Old Codger

BOING......Now where that clip take off to? Got the door handle off now, that leaves that window handle, the one that's puckered inward.....That one is really going to be a thrill.

The door handle, I had to get it turned just right, and held in place with that large common screwdriver wedged between the washer and handle. Then it went pretty good. I tried my little screw driver that I made a curve in it. That got it started out, but I had to finish pulling it out with the dental pick....BOING...I was planning on getting new clips anyway!!!!!! I have no idea where that took off to. CYBER GARAGE?????

I might as well get started asking now....Where to buy those clips for door and window handles?

Old Codger

Guest Old Codger

I suppose I ought to show the car I'm messing with...

post-85823-143142378602_thumb.jpg

The 4th photo, down left under the dash is a water temp gauge...(used to be)...I found a correct sending unit so now all the gauges, radio and clock work. Factory fog lights, turn signals..they work, and the autronic eye. It works...

The owner driver...nope...he's retired!!!!!!!

Old Codger

post-85823-143142378567_thumb.jpg

post-85823-143142378569_thumb.jpg

post-85823-143142378596_thumb.jpg

post-85823-143142378599_thumb.jpg

I'd take along one of the old problem clips with the short ears so you know what Not to buy when getting the new ones. Another option is to check a parts car, where you stand a better chance of getting an original part. If it's a four door, try one of the rear doors, assuming that front and rear cranks used the same clip, which is highly likely. The rear doors are more likely to be undisturbed from the factory. The good news is that you probably don't have to limit your search to Oldsmobiles, any GM product of that vintage is a good candidate.

Correct me if I am wrong but go to Ebay

item #

This is a cheap tool made specifically for removing these clips. It is slipped between the handle and the door panel and then you turn the handle and the tool removes the clip.......even works on the door handle - you don't need to turn the handle very much to release the clip

You can get it at any auto parts store, too.

Much easier than trying to "make" tools that could possibly damage the door panel.

On another note - easiest way to replace the clips and handles is to first put the clips into the groove in the handles then press the handles onto the door panel. You may need to give the handles a "bump" with your palm to get the clips to catch

Joe

Guest Old Codger
The tool is available at probably every auto parts store along with harbor freight. Here is the set from Harbor freight for $9.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-windshield-door-trim-tool-set-38386.html

Thanks for the help guys, but in my first post, the first sentence of the second paragraph I mentioned I know how to use one of those clip removal tools. Also in the 5th paragraph last sentence "giving me enough room to slip the clip removal tool in". I've got two of those clip removal tools, had to use them before. But in this case the upholstery is is pressing so tightly against the washer, that goes against the handle, there just wasn't enough room to slip that clip removal tool in between that washer and the handle to get to the clip. So I had to pry between the washer and the handle enough to even be able to see the clip. Also, the clip that was in there apparently was not original, because the ears did not stick out past the groove the clip sit in to even use a clip removal tool...That's why I had to fish the clip out with a dental pick, and a smaller flat edge screw driver to even get the clips out.

As far as buying those door handle clips, there's always a jillion of them for sale on Evil Bay, if a person wants to pay their price. Some are even listed as NOS GM parts. Autozone, Pep Boys, any of them in the isle that has stuff for sale that say HELP on the package has them...I trust NAPA more though.

But thanks though.

Old Codger