JRRivi64's 1964 Riviera Build

JRRivi64

Hey all,

Did an intro in main AACA Forum/page here I go again for the ROA Forum. Recently rescued a 64 Riviera - abandoned, neglected project. Broke my heart to see it in the condition I found it. My plan is to restore her as she deserves to be and back on the road - may end up breaking the bank in the process but these cars are too beautiful to let rot. Been wanting a first gen Riviera for some time although she's rough now, with some blood, sweat, tears and insufficient funds notices from the bank I'm gonna make her shine and roar. New to this forum stuff…hopefully pics load up. Btw engine, electrics work….until I started the disassembly process. Appreciate what I've learned so far from this forum and the ROA.

Jeff

post-98758-143142373377_thumb.jpg

post-98758-14314237338_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142373382_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I always love to see an individual like yourself willing to bring life back into a neglected old girl like your Riv. You will find this forum, including myself, very willing to help with answers to your questions. Please consider joining the ROA. I`m very sure you will eventually, if not immediately, consider your decision to join one of the best investments you will make in your journey. Good luck! Looking forward to see your progress!

Tom Mooney

Welcome jeff-as tom said joining the ROA is a good idea-also get yourself a chassis and body service manuals (a must for working on these rivs).youll find all the help youll need here for rebuild-also parts.keep us posted on build and good luck.T.Nugent ROA 12969...

Welcome aboard Jeff. I am a "newer" member here that has learned a bunch from the guys on this forum. I am in the process of breathing life back into my old girl (65) too. "Breaking the bank" is an understatement but definitely worth every cent.

Everyone here, including me, is willing to help

Good luck & congrats on your purchase

David

Hi Jeff,

I always love to see an individual like yourself willing to bring life back into a neglected old girl like your Riv. You will find this forum, including myself, very willing to help with answers to your questions. Please consider joining the ROA. I`m very sure you will eventually, if not immediately, consider your decision to join one of the best investments you will make in your journey. Good luck! Looking forward to see your progress!

Tom Mooney

Welcome jeff-as tom said joining the ROA is a good idea-also get yourself a chassis and body service manuals (a must for working on these rivs).youll find all the help youll need here for rebuild-also parts.keep us posted on build and good luck.T.Nugent ROA 12969...

Tom-I actually joined up with ROA weeks ago. Wealth of knowledge and experience for sure!

T. Nugent-before joining ROA I picked up a reprint body manual and original chassis manual (from a law firm in Michigan!?!....hope that's not a bad sign...)

Thank you all for viewing and taking the time to reply!

• 4 months later...

Soooooo since doing my intro on Jan 31, 2014 I've been a little busy with my attempt to restore this Rivi of mine. Its been suggested that I start a build thread but for some reason I've been a little reluctant. But during my disassembly of the Rivi I've come to realize how helpful these forums are. So, I plan to document my rebuild process and if it or I can help someone in anyway possible then cool. Someone, who shall remain nameless but has a screen name beginning with "rockin'" and ending with "dad" also suggested when it comes to getting help - pay it forward. If family, work and life allows I will document what I can from beginning of disassembly to present state. If someone needs a pic of something let me know and I'll do my best. If this thread can help with what to do OR what not to do then mission accomplished. Jeff

Again, what I'm posting is only a FEW pics of what has already been done months ago and future post will soon (hopefully) be more current.

post-98758-143142577977_thumb.jpg

post-98758-14314257798_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142577984_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142577987_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142577977_thumb.jpg

post-98758-14314257798_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142577984_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142577987_thumb.jpg

Hi Jeff,

What part of SoCal? Near San Diego?

Hello Jan,

Not as SoCal as San Diego, actually in a rural town called Acton (north of Santa Clarita Valley and south of Antelope Valley).

BTW Keep up the progress on your Riviera!

Guest clamshells

Something tells me David & Jeff are related.

With that kind of attention to detail that is going to one fine Riv.

Nice work.

Nice work.

Clamshells,

I'll take that compliment! I've seen David's work and I can only hope my Riviera turns out half as good as his is turning out. He helped take my engine/tranny out.....hmmmmm Hey David feel up to cleaning and detailing another frame?

Nice work.

Blood brothers? No. But we are family…First-Gen Rivi Brothers…aren't we all in this together? C'mon bring it in for a group hug :)

...kinda like the raw metal look.

KBS.coatings.com has a clear coating for metal called Diamond Finish

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html

Clamshells,

I'll take that compliment! I've seen David's work and I can only hope my Riviera turns out half as good as his is turning out. He helped take my engine/tranny out.....hmmmmm Hey David feel up to cleaning and detailing another frame?

You don't have to fluff my ego just to get some elbow grease out of me lol OK!… it worked :) The answer is "yes, no problem"

I start my vacation this Sunday. The wife will be working the first few days so call me & we can get started then.

David

"As for painting the assembly I plan to paint it but not set on type of finish yet. I'll be sure to post final outcome...kinda like the raw metal look."

Jeff,

Be sure to check out Jason Z's article regarding paint and paint colors on the ROA website located here: http://rivowners.org/members-only/frame_off/part3.html

He has a lot of great paint color recommendations, based on experience, for many of the pieces that are a color other than the standard GM Chassis Black. The article includes some photos so you can see which paint color gave which result.

• 4 months later...

Happy holidays all,

Got some quiet time to finally post some old progress pics. Studying other people's restoration threads make this restoration thing look so easy…Anyways got body off frame, engine in stand, trans cleaned up, frame stripped and painted with KBS product.post-98758-143142851813_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851795_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851799_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851804_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851808_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851812_thumb.jpg

Additional progress...

Got all suspension springs out without killing myself. The control arms came out with some work but the ball joints in the front control arms took ALOT of work. Once all out, got them cleaned up and painted. Thanks to member "Mjurasas" for the heads up on Jason Z's article regarding paint types/paint color options in his build write up on the ROA website. Color options other than black made painting parts more interesting. Can't forget to thank RockinRiviDad for help in disassembly of this beast as well as other members kind enough to post theirpost-98758-143142851832_thumb.jpg knowledge and experiences.

post-98758-143142851816_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851819_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851822_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851824_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143142851828_thumb.jpg

Progress looks awesome Jeff! Keep up the great work. Funny, before I noticed your location I was thinking that car had to have been from an arid climate due to the absence of rust on the chassis parts.

Will you be doing any major work to the engine?

Thanks for the kind words Eric, Darren and Jason. As for "major work on engine" - I know work needs to be done, prior to disassembly engine ran, extent of engine work needed I don't know yet. I haven't dug into engine just yet as I've been working on frame and suspension. I have zero experience with engine rebuilds. Friends have suggested I do it myself but my rebuilds have been limited to motorcycle carbs. Reached out to Russ Martin to get info…looks like I need a second job!!

Jeff my 63 ran fine with 130,000 miles,but i knew that i would rebuild someday because im keeping it.Anyway it dropped a valve and broke a piston,so it was rebuild time.I got the parts from russ (30 over pistons,rings,valves,springs,pushrods,lifters,oil pump,cam,all bearings,timing chain setup,gasket set,and a few things i problobly forgot for around $1900.Then had a reputal engine shop do all motor work done installing everything except timingchain cover,water pump,valley pan,etc.for $1550.Happy to have new motor and painted engine bay.Good Luck and keep us posted.Tim Nugent ROA 12969...

Edited by MrEarl
change title per request (see edit history)

Thanks Chris,

So far it has been fun and interesting to work on this project. I've enjoyed researching restoration issues that come up and finding solutions, at the same time learning more about my Rîviera. Gotta admit, studying your build thread, RockinRiviDad's, RobJ's as well as others has kept me motivated. Just recently got third member out of differential housing. Need to replace couple of axle shaft/wheel studs and shaft bearings/seals. Thank God for the Internet!

• 4 months later...

post-98758-143143064326_thumb.jpgIt's been awhile...

Here are some before and (most current) after pics of my attempts to restore my 64 Rivi. Trying to stay motivated, interested and focused on what I've started here. Although steering and suspension parts look nice and shiny - if I was to do this all over again I think I would definitely go the powder coat route but unfortunately money is an object for me. I think/hope (fingers crossed) the primer, paint and clear holds up on control arms/components - I figure it looks better than before...at least better than the rust and grime.

post-98758-143143064315_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064317_thumb.jpg

post-98758-14314306432_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064322_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064324_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

BTW - control arms/components were just installed for fitment and pics - nothing was torqued down yet. New ball joints installed, gasket for diff, and axle seals, bushings and other parts from CARS, Inc. Additional before and after pics... post-98758-143143064347_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064341_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064343_thumb.jpg

post-98758-143143064345_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

More progress...slowly but surely.  Trying to finish what I started here.  These restorations looks sooooooooo much easier on TV.........  

Since last pics I installed shocks, brake lines and brake hoses to calipers (to Scarebird disc conversion).  Coils by Coil Spring Specialties, Monroe shocks via Rock Auto and brake lines via In Line Tube.  Drive shaft serviced and painted to look pretty by local shop.    Hopefully these pics help someone as far as reference because the build threads and attached pics/info on this Forum have certainly helped me along the way.  Go Rams!!

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

• Like 1

The thing those restoration shows dont tell you, it took them two years to complete ;)   I took 762 hours to get to where I am.   Thats 95 business days (8 hour shifts)  if you were an employee of a shop. Almost half a year, and I didnt work none stop ;)...so it took 4 years

Just work at your pace and make sure you are enjoying the work....once the tools/parts/ atmosphere in the garage gets tense or out of hand.....step away and come back after you rested.  Its supposed to be enjoyable, when its not, thats when you make your mistakes

Keep up the good work

Edited by alini (see edit history)