Packard throttle/ vaccum question

Guest Brandonkr

Guest Brandonkr

HI I'm new to having a Packard, I bought my first one last fall, its a 1949. I have it at a shop right now being fixed, ( it sat for 5 years). The guy fixing it cant figure out what this thing is on the bottom left of the block. It looks to be a type of vacuum or something possibly for the transmission?. The car now starts and runs fine, but i'm afraid if I don't get the vacuum thing working good and really figure out what its then it wont run/ drive correctly in the future? Does anyone know if this is a vacuum or even have an idea of what it could be? I know the description is vague, so I can get a picture of it in the next few days to show you if you don't know what its for sure. Thank you for your time,

Brandon Rowley

Your description of a vacuum device on bottom left of block sounds like it may be the Electromatic Clutch power cylinder. If so, it was an option and the car will run just fine if it is not functional -- as long as there is no vacuum leak. There are several parts to the complete system -- if they have not been removed over the years. If you have a complete intact system, there should be some other items the mechanic may not be familiar with. Does the item in question look like this photo?

post-43944-143142372182_thumb.jpg

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

One key item is having a clutch pedal with electromatic connection. I drove only one car with electromatic and it stained me at stop light on the test drive, until I got the electromatic lockout to finally work.