1953-1960 OLDSMOBILE AIR CONDITIONER PRESS RELEASES, FACTS BOOK AC INFO, AC OWNER'S MANUALS

archiveman2977

1-29-14

I am writing an illustrated history of the evolution of factory air conditioning and am currently seeking 1953-1960 Oldsmobile press releases, owner's manuals, fact book information and other pertinent ephemera which includes the initial road testing, introduction and updating of the air conditioning systems.

With this exercise, the legacy of the air conditioning literature will be utilized and recorded.

In a much larger context, I have collected multi-make AC literature and am in the process of writing about AC evolution through illustrations not only of Oldsmobile, but of all car makes, 1953-1960, plus the 1940-1942 time period.

I will appreciate your response and I will ensure that your contributions will be credited in the publication.

Thank you,

Archiveman2977

Allen B. Simons

hello allen, I have collected a few things related to early buick, oldsmobile, and Pontiac factory air conditioning. I have installed the 1954 Pontiac factory air conditioning into the dash of my 1953 Pontiac chieftain custom catalina, and I will be installing the 1955 buick factory rear air conditioning into the trunk and package tray area of the custom catalina as well. if you search the aaca forum for the 1954 Pontiac air conditioning, you'll find all my posting about it verus the 1954 nash air conditioning that followed Pontiac by six months time. if I have printed matieral about these early a/c systems that would assist you, i'll be more than happy to share them with you. I believe that I have the only copy left of the 1954 Pontiac air conditioning operating and maintaining brochure. looking forward to hearing from you. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

1-31-14

Hi, Dave

Yes, I have searched/enjoyed the Old Car Manual/Brochures site many times. It's amazing how you can get lost in it--and literally hours pass while enjoying the pics, renderings, specs and topics while entering a previous world where those cars were seen every day. I grew up in Houston where I never got tired at looking for the newest, most luxurious, or ...air conditioned...cars that one day I knew I could ...grow up...and buy.

I have checked out several of your sites today and realize that there are, indeed, those who really enjoy the art of old cars and what they stood for.

Thanks,

Allen

Archiveman2977

1-31-14

Hi, Charles

Thanks for your reply. I have previously read all your comments concerning the 1954 Pontiac up-front AC vs. the 1954 Nash up-front system.

In fact, I was mesmerized by your knowledge and tenacity for the 1954 Pontiac AC subject.

I recall that during the -great debate- of Who's First?" I added my two cents in--probably sometime in 2012, by adding the publication dates for the 1954 Pontiac AC and 1954 Nash AC from my service manual copies. As I remember, Pontiac had the earliest service manual publication date.

I lapped up the information about your assistance last year with the 1954 Pontiac Star Chief in collaboration with Dave Roberts with Delphi. The Picador Red-Winter White Pontiac on the cover of ACtion magazine is stunning.

I had already planned to contact you and commiserate about the story of Pontiac and Harrison Radiator; however, I am still actively writing the 1953 Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Buick AC chapters. In other words, I'm not to -1954- yet.

Thanks for your comments. I will look forward to your 1954 Pontiac encyclopedia of knowledge, soon, I hope.

Regards,

Allen

Archiveman2977

hello allen, I have collected a few things related to early buick, oldsmobile, and Pontiac factory air conditioning. I have installed the 1954 Pontiac factory air conditioning into the dash of my 1953 Pontiac chieftain custom catalina, and I will be installing the 1955 buick factory rear air conditioning into the trunk and package tray area of the custom catalina as well. if you search the aaca forum for the 1954 Pontiac air conditioning, you'll find all my posting about it verus the 1954 nash air conditioning that followed Pontiac by six months time. if I have printed matieral about these early a/c systems that would assist you, i'll be more than happy to share them with you. I believe that I have the only copy left of the 1954 Pontiac air conditioning operating and maintaining brochure. looking forward to hearing from you. Charles Coker, 1953 Pontiac tech advisor.

one thing that you may discover in your research of the 1953 frigidaire made factory a/c unit for 1953 cadillac, buick, and oldsmobile is that's the only year that the trunk unit advertises that it was built by frigidaire, one reason being is that's the year that frigidaire made their own evaporator assemblies, starting with the 1954 model production, the harrison division started building the evaporator assemblies for frigidaire. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

2-3-14

Hi, Charles,

Yup, I have through 1955 Oldsmobile AC shop manuals. When the time comes, I will contact you for info from the others.

Thanks to you, last year I supplemented the info on the 1954 Pontiac AC that I had accumulated and copied it from your AACA posts. As I already mentioned, I'm still working on 1953.

Thanks, Allen

Archiveman2977

hi allen, I have a copy of each of the following a/c shop manuals, 1953 buick, 1953 oldsmobile, 1954 Pontiac, 1954 nash, 1955 buick, 1955 oldsmobile, 1955 Pontiac, 1956 Pontiac, 1958 Pontiac, and more. let me know if any of this will be useful for you. Charles.

2-2-14

Hi, Charles,

Thanks, I'm aware of that. I have photographed the 1953 evaporators--Cadillac, Oldsmobile and Buick--all with the GM-Frigidaire label and realized there was something missing from the 1954-on cabinets. In fact, there were no identification labels on them, so that it was difficult to differentiate each cabinet from its brethren, so I made sure to take pics with their tailfins.

Thanks, Allen

Archiveman2977

one thing that you may discover in your research of the 1953 frigidaire made factory a/c unit for 1953 cadillac, buick, and oldsmobile is that's the only year that the trunk unit advertises that it was built by frigidaire, one reason being is that's the year that frigidaire made their own evaporator assemblies, starting with the 1954 model production, the harrison division started building the evaporator assemblies for frigidaire. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.