Selling US Classic car to private party in Europe

Guest rroyer

We are selling our classic car and have found an interested private party buyer in Europe. Can anyone advise how to safely collect funds and do title/car transfer for a car located in the US to a private buyer in Europe?

For export, you will need to send both the car and the title together to the point of export. When we do overseas transactions, it is 100% the buyer's risk. They wire payment in full and we put the papers together and work with them to ship the car to the port. There are a few other papers that will need to be filled out, and the shipping/export company should be able to supply them. We typically use Schumacher Cargo Logistics, who have always done a fine job and their paperwork is easy. Do not send the title separately via FedEx to the buyer, because it is needed to clear customs. You can E-mail them a scan, of course, but the original document, plus a bill of sale clearly marked "PAID IN FULL" will be required for export.

Go to your bank and open a new bank account and let them know that you will be accepting an overseas wire transfer. When the money arrives, move it to your other bank account. There's no way for them to reach in and take the money back later and they will have no connection to your "main" bank account in this way.

Hope this helps!

You can even do this relatively pain free with a car that does not have a title but is registered (as is the case here in CT, a non title state after a certain number of years that escapes me right now) as long as you provide the registration and bill of sale to the export company. For the car we sold to a Swiss buyer a couple years ago the export company got a hold of me with specific instructions on an affidavit of ownership/who the car was going to. I think requirements may differ with each country. But the money was in hand before the car or paperwork left the house...

Buyer was happy, he did mention customs a hassle on his end when the car arrived, taking a few hours but I believe that is par for the course and should not be your issue.