Running after 30+ years!

Lisa P

I think we all love a running after a long time story, so it here goes. A while ago, my friend brought his 1931 Franklin over to my shop. It had been sitting idle since 1981 while life got in the way. We had a short list to do, adjust the steering, adjust the clutch and get the brakes working. Well, turns out that some of the valves were stuck in the heads due to some rodents that had made their way up the exhaust pipe and nested on top of the pistons. Anyhow, after much discussion with my mechanic mentor, he said it won't run right unless it is taken apart and at least the valves have been done. And so, I began the process of disassembly. My mechanic mentor, also a machinist, took the heads to regrind the seats and valves and returned them a short time ago. Upon completion of reassembly, including new gaskets, a rebuilt carburetor, rebuilt fuel pump and some new wiring, the car now runs, with good oil pressure as well! It has a tendency to idle unevenly but that should be sorted out in due time. I love the sound of it, what a neat automobile.

post-70345-14314236468_thumb.jpg

I think we all love a running after a long time story, so it here goes. A while ago, my friend brought his 1931 Franklin over to my shop. It had been sitting idle since 1981 while life got in the way. We had a short list to do, adjust the steering, adjust the clutch and get the brakes working. Well, turns out that some of the valves were stuck in the heads due to some rodents that had made their way up the exhaust pipe and nested on top of the pistons. Anyhow, after much discussion with my mechanic mentor, he said it won't run right unless it is taken apart and at least the valves have been done. And so, I began the process of disassembly. My mechanic mentor, also a machinist, took the heads to regrind the seats and valves and returned them a short time ago. Upon completion of reassembly, including new gaskets, a rebuilt carburetor, rebuilt fuel pump and some new wiring, the car now runs, with good oil pressure as well! It has a tendency to idle unevenly but that should be sorted out in due time. I love the sound of it, what a neat automobile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231999[/ATTACH]

I love it when another Franklin is running after a long slumber!