2015 9-speed Tranny

D Yaros

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Call

In the search for maximum fuel milage, or kilometerage?, this type of trans will become common. I has 2006 Ford 500 w 3 liter V6, now re-badged as Taurus with cc's upped to 3500, with a 6 speed. It got fantastic mileage because it maximized the use of the torque range in each gear and the final gear was an overdrive. I believe the Taurus has a 7 speed. I think in the new few years 5 and 6 speed will be common in small and medium cars and larger cars and light trucks will have 9 or 10 speed.

Same-same as AWD in Jeep Cherokee. Is designed for a sidewinder. Personally think it is funny pairing something with a very broad torque band like the 3.2 Pentastar with that many gears, bet it skips some like the "6" speed in a Hemi. Lotsa gears makes sense with a peaky engine and not something mostly flat from 1800 to 6500, seems like a carryover from the daze before VVTi&e.

OTOH nobody seems to have liked the CVT with unlimited gearing. Did tend to be torque limited.

Personally I look for a good starting gear, a top that is under 2k rpm at 70, and whatever is left evenly spaced between 3.0 and .75. 4.x first is good for parades and mall creeping but only with a manual trans.