1990 Maui Blue Convertible Project with Gunmetal Coupe parts car $1250 obo MARYLAND

Guest BJM

NOTE: Not mine, but spotted his ad on the AACA Buy/Sell and went to the ad on Craigs List. I believe most Reatta collectors like Maui Blue cars, and #2, I was surprised to see a black convertible roof. I suspect this is incorrect? Since all I have ever seen is white fabric convertible tops.

This is a car I would like to have but I do believe I would want the parts coupe based on photos. Plus, transport would eat my lunch from Maryland to Iowa. Especially for 2 cars.

I looked at these cars, the convertible has the inner fender well crumpled to the weld in front of the strut tower, the cross bar the radiator mounts to is a pretzel on the passenger side. To do this repair one would need a plasma cutter and a good welder. The parts car is straight but does not run, the interior is complete but wet and has rodents. The windshield is cracked and the tops rear window is loose at the bottom, this may be a viable project at the right price.

On the top color, there was no restriction or suggestion on which color top should be ordered with an exterior color, so a Maui blue car could have a white, black or tan top.

If you post or send me the vin numbers of the cars, I will add them to the database. You can check the "Service Parts Label" located in the spare well and the original top color will be listed. 19T or 41T= black, 11T or 40T = white, 58T = saddle

I looked at these cars, the convertible has the inner fender well crumpled to the weld in front of the strut tower, the cross bar the radiator mounts to is a pretzel on the passenger side. To do this repair one would need a plasma cutter and a good welder. The parts car is straight but does not run, the interior is complete but wet and has rodents. The windshield is cracked and the tops rear window is loose at the bottom, this may be a viable project at the right price.
Have to love the forum. Within minutes, a post from someone that has put eyeballs on the car. I would say, too far gone for most of us. It's essentially a $500 car, a parts car with still many usable parts but the drivetrain has 200,000 so needs rebuilt/replaced, front clip is a disaster.

Top is original and was black. IMO looks so much better in black. Obviously any convertible is worth more than $500 just with the glass, working headligh switch, rebuilt headlight motor, wheel caps and wheels, decent door panel and seat, mouldings, etc... not even including the $435 for scrapping it.

steve

Rick

You may be correct, not sure what "much more" means. You can get nice running and driving Reatta convertibles for between $1500 and $3500, and nice show car quality convertibles can be had for $3000 to $8000 or so, all in.

This one needs restored with a body shop pulling out the crumpled inner fender, etc. Still a good project, but you would have to clear the garage out and be really focused. I was quoted a ridiculous number to repaint my Reatta convertible which had tired red paint. I think it was around $7000 to strip and repaint, and that was with no body damage.

Sure, you can do it yourself.

This Maui convertible had over 200,000 miles, so a person should rebuild or replace the motor with a crate rebuild, ditto the transmission, brakes, subframe, etc. Just trying to fix the front end damage wouldn't really help this one, as it would not be an entirely fun reliable car. Therefore, it is at the end of it's useable life as a 2nd or 3rd weekend type of car and requires restoration, therefore, in my opinion, $500 is a fair price, whether you part it out or restore it, $500 is fair. Now, $1000-$1250 for the 2 Reattas is not a bad deal.

• 2 weeks later...

East Coast Reatta paid $1,250 for both and shipped them from MD to NC at his cost. I made a few bucks and cleared out my garage and East Coast Reatta I am sure will make a few bucks as well.

In truth, it is seldom economical to restore ANY car and probably most cars at Barrett Jackson sell for much less than what the owner put into them. Restoring cars is about the love of a hobby and bringing a worthy vehicle back to life. A Reatta is probably not a worthy vehicle today but I do see a future where is is will be. I agree that you could find a nice coupe or convertible and it would be a much better investment but this forum is popular because of the love of the car, not always the cost. And we all wish the prices would soon climb.

Steve from Maryland

1990 Maroon Coupe (Near Mint)

BJM,

How do you know he received fair market value? I don't see anywhere what he was paid for them.

John F.

John

Sorry I thought this post was done. I wrote that comment because Marck is in the BUSINESS of selling Reatta parts and has probably put his hands on more actual Reattas (bought and sold) then anyone not named Jim Finn. I don't think Marck would over pay for the cars.

I mean, $1250 is fair if one doesn't consider cost of transport and purpose. I am glad it was a win win.