40-52 Pontiac flywheel question

Guest SteveNelson

Guest SteveNelson

I am working on a 40 Pontiac Sport Coupe in Missoula, Montana. I am keeping the six, but the original had parallel cracks in the water jacket, and a 37 six checked out OK, but no mains available. So I am fitting in a 52 engine....best I can do, given the distance to nearest pile of blocks! We are putting the engine back together, but find that the 40 flywheel does not bolt up to the flange on the 52 crank, and the 52 engine came without a flywheel. I am keeping the 3-speed. My questions are: 1) Is there a different flywheel for synchromesh and Hydramatic transmissions? 2) Are 6 and 8 flywheels different? 3) Does anyone out there near Montana have a selection of flywheels they are interested in subdividing, that would include a unit compatible with a 52 6 cylinder block for a clutch? Also, is there a supplier of correct color engine paint? Thanks for any help!

hello, the hydra-matic flywheel is different than the syncro-mesh three speed flywheel, from 1946 to 1954, both the six and the eight used the same flywheel. i'm checking with a good pontiac parts guy in minnesota to see if he has one for you. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.