Free wheeling transmission?

ricosan

Good Morning Everyone

I have a 1932 with what is described as a free wheeling OD transmission. I've experienced the "free wheeling" part but I haven't found out how to engage the OD. Can you disengage the free wheeling function? That's a lot of car to stop with just mechanical brakes.

ricosan

Hey Nickel,

I don't have an owners manual. The closest thing I could find was "The Marmon Big Eight Information Book" and it doesn't reference the OD transmission. I notice that there are two handles under the dash. The one on the left side of the steering column opens the hood ventilation system and I have another handle to the right of the steering column. Does this control the engagement of the OD?

ricosan

Ricosan,

Have you contacted the AACA library for a manual? Have you tried calling Bill Jaquiery? How about the admittably few numbers of other people who have 32 8-125 convertible coupes? You should be able to get a manual somewhere. Follow the handle down and try to trace wherever it goes. It should be easy to tell whether it is a mechanical or electrical connection. wherever this connection goes will probably tell you what it does.

Edited by nickelroadster (see edit history)

Good morning Nickel,

That's a good idea. I'll try to see where it goes and take some Photographs too. I was hoping that someone had this option on their car. Was it only on the 8-125? I'm not a fan of the free-wheeling aspect. I do like how it gently re-engages when gas is reapplied but the feeling of barreling into a corner is uncomfortable.

I've been looking for a manual for the 1932 8-125 but I haven't been able to find anything. I checked the AACA library and didn't find one. They have 20 items and it's mostly advertising and stuff the sixteen. There is very little about the 1932 8-125 that I found. I'm going to do another search for just the free-wheeling information.

I just took another look a the handle and the cable. Looks like the cable disappears into the tranny area.

ricosan

It seems that most free wheeling systems had a button or a cable to change. Use the advanced search feature at the top right of the page and put "free wheeling transmission in and you will find quite a few old posts that discuss them. While not discussing your system specifically, there is a bit of info there. Your free wheeling system is probably made with your transmission and is likely one of three or four brands. You should be able to disengage free wheeling and the od separately. Yes the free wheeling can be a bit dangerous. That's why they didn't last very long in the marketplace.