1930 Race team Coveralls

• 1 month later...
I am looking for information and possible source for 1930 vintage coveralls of the type that woul dhave been worn by racing team crew members or driver. White would be preferred.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have nothing to offer that is set in stone but I suppose these may have been very similar to what any mechanic would have wore at the time. I've done a little research on this and have found that one of the manufacturers would have been Cowden according to the tags that I've seen. Also, on the tag it will say "Union Made" and "Sanforized"

The buttons will be made of brass and say "Union Made" as well. Very distinct yet plain nostalgic feel to them.

Below is a photo of an example of these Cowden coveralls, very distinct elastic band, pockets and stitching. I personally own a pair that were evidently maintained by "Overall Cleaning & Supply" but have yet to find any documentation of where they originated or were located. Recently I took my pair of coveralls to a very experience seamstress that immediately recognized the stitching of the company logo on the back that dated to the 1930's. She said it is nearly impossible to duplicate now days.. even with the advances we have made in technology. One other note, the entire material surface should show a faint hint of V shapes both inverted and right side up woven throughout, this process is referred to as herringbone I believe.

Race crews may have worn something completely different than mechanics, I just don't know, but it seems like a reasonable place to start.

Good luck

post-69994-143142418007_thumb.jpg

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Dan, I also wonder if some racers and crew members may have simply used a fire retardant Air Force suit ? I've seen sample photos that seem to look very similar.

Here's a pair on ebay currently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Air-Force-jump-suit-coveralls-CMU-3-P-med-reg-/251465694720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8c85fe00

If you find any concrete answers please let us know.

Hi 30DodgePanel,

Thank you for the replies. I was asking for one of our STuTZ Club members in Switzerland. He does vintage racing in a STuTZ powered race car and was looking for vintage coverall that he could have the STuTZ logo applied.

I can see that he may find them on Ebay.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

I have been collecting dealership items for 42 years now. Started as a little kid at Hershey in 72. Here is a factory Cadillac shop jacket from a service manager in Chicago the manager started wearing in 1928 and used until 1933. Check out the detailed photos. It's very cool, one of my favorite things in my collection. It will be donated to the new Cadillac Museum at Gilmore this summer. It also has a brass laundry tag I didn't photograph. I like the Cadillac Buttons. Enjoy, Ed.

post-31625-143142429892_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142429911_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142429932_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142429954_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142429972_thumb.jpg

post-31625-14314242999_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142430007_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142430026_thumb.jpg

I have been collecting dealership items for 42 years now. Started as a little kid at Hershey in 72. Here is a factory Cadillac shop jacket from a service manager in Chicago the manager started wearing in 1928 and used until 1933. Check out the detailed photos. It's very cool, one of my favorite things in my collection. It will be donated to the new Cadillac Museum at Gilmore this summer. It also has a brass laundry tag I didn't photograph. I like the Cadillac Buttons. Enjoy, Ed.

EdinMass,

I agree with Larry, those are very cool and I love the fact you have been collecting dealership stuff for that long.

Without hijacking, can you tell me if you have anything from a "McConnel Motors Inc." that was located at 14 Maplewood Ave in Pittsfield MA from 1927-1933 ? I'm looking for any photos of the dealership. They also owned a gas station on 164 Wahconah in Pittsfield MA during that same time frame, any information for either properties would be helpful in my research.

The stitching on the back of your Cadillac coveralls are a match to the stitching on the set I own. Thanks for posting, the pics confirm the set I own are also 1930's (I'll try and post pics later).

I have several items from Pittsfield dealerships. They are all put away. I have not seen them in years. The name does not ring a bell. Please post a photo of your coveralls. I would like to see them. I have a friend with a Pierce Arrow shop jacket like the one I posted above. I have seen two or three Packard jackets also. If the guy with a Stutz looks in the Splended Stutz book, he can see what the Long Island guys were wearing at Daytona in 1928. I had some of their stuff and gave it to a friend. Thanks, Ed

Thanks Ed,

I would appreciate it if you can find some time to tell me if you have anything at all from McConnel Motors Inc. I've tried the County Assessors office but they are no help (I believe they only go back to the early 70's online and the archives dept there are worthless when I call in).

Here's the pair of Cowdens I own. If anyone can tell me what "Glass House" is referring to I would appreciate it. Size 38 so way to small for me, I only bought them for my research and will be selling them soon if anyone is interested.

Regards,

Dave

post-69994-143142430918_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430846_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430853_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430863_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430872_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430881_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430889_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430898_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430905_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143142430913_thumb.jpg

Dave, thanks for the photos of your coveralls. The glass house wasn't built till the 60's if I remember right, but I may be off. Here is another dealer item sitting on my dresser. I have found factory published photos of the award being given to the winner. It's amazing what turns up. Ed.

post-31625-143142430924_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142430945_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142430965_thumb.jpg

post-31625-143142430986_thumb.jpg

YES ! That's a heck of a find. If that were a Dodge Brothers display it would have probably sold for around $300 (not sure what the Caddy market is like). That's good your displaying it like you are, I'd put it front and center if I owned it too. Excellent piece.

As for the Coveralls I own, do you have any information you can offer for the Cowden brand timeline? The stitching doesn't really resemble anything I've seen from the 60's and as I said previously the seamstress I took them to immediately dated them to the 30's, how, I do not know but her response was sincere.

As for the Glass House, it is possible it was something other than the Ford Headquarters is it not ?

Cadillac stuff is stupid money. I turned down 2200 for the shop coat about eight years ago. The desk clock and pen holder is much larger than it looks like, and tips the scale at 8 pounds. I have a bunch more stuff all packed away, I hope to donate it all to the new Cadillac museum later this year. My favorite stuff is the factory jewelry. Before I send it to the museum I'll post photos.

My guess is your coveralls are from 1938 to 1948 era. Only reason I think they aren't quite as early is the labels. I collect factory lap robes, and have a bunch of them. Over the years I was able to look at the style and labels to date them. The Glass House logo looks like it was done by machine. Machine work like this was available in the late 30's. I have no idea if they are transportation related, or if they were from some other industry. Someone will want them no matter what industry they were from.

• 2 weeks later...

The Studebaker Indy car teams in 1932 were equipped with sweaters with the Studebaker logo and the driver or riding mechanic's initials. Of course, I wanted one, so I had a 100% cotton sweater made in Fall River, MA embroidered in the same style. These sweaters come from the last U.S. sweater knitting mill. In 1932, the sweaters were probably only worn for publicity photos, not for racing.

post-47871-143142443176_thumb.jpg

post-47871-143142443164_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I found another photo of a Studebaker team at the Amatol, NJ wood track when they were setting endurance records in November, 1928. For similar clothing, try searching for "boiler suit white" at ebay.co.uk. British workmen still wear these in many occupations. I also found some Red Kap style CC14 white cotton twill coveralls in the U.S. Here's one link: http://www.automotiveworkwear.com/RedKap/CC14/coveralls.html, see them in Bleached White. They have a range of sizes.

post-47871-143142459994_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)

The Studebaker Indy car teams in 1932 were equipped with sweaters with the Studebaker logo and the driver or riding mechanic's initials. Of course, I wanted one, so I had a 100% cotton sweater made in Fall River, MA embroidered in the same style. These sweaters come from the last U.S. sweater knitting mill. In 1932, the sweaters were probably only worn for publicity photos, not for racing.

Hey Gary,

I found these and thought you may be interested, if your not please let me know cause I may bid on them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121314693481?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nice item! I don't need the "Johnson Motors" embroidery, so you go for it! I can buy new patches with the Studebaker logo like the one on the overalls. Styles sure haven't changed much in men's overalls.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...