Looking at a 1934 Dodge Special Deluxe

Stevemo

Cool, that one is about 30 minutes from my brother's house. Why buy a rare Dodge when you can buy an even rarer Plymouth? :D

Huh? I was under the impression that more Plymouths were built than Dodges in that era. . .

Car looks to be pretty solid. Also looks like the period correct ('33/34) engine in it.

Hmm, I hadn't seen as many Plymouth's for sale so I figured they were less common. I have a soft spot for the Dodge's so I'll keep the Plymouth in mind but it isn't quite what I'm after.

I tracked down a fresher 1934 Dodge with an asking price of $18.5k. I am in the midst of trying to figure out if it has fiberglass fenders and running boards. What do you guys think? It will be locked up until mid-April so no engine photos. :(

Steve

post-98704-143142386862_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386847_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386872_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386883_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Can anybody recommend a parts book with diagrams and serial numbers for these cars? I am going to see the burgundy car in the spring but I won't be able to bring an expert with me to look at it so I need to bring some reference materials. The intent would be to ensure there aren't any obvious pieces missing from the car and I'd also want to confirm the undercarriage is correct, etc.

Thank you, Steve

Factory parts book and factory service manual are the way to go. They used to show up on E-bay every now and again, prob. still do. Faxon and I am sure many others make re-prints as well. Google Faxon auto literature.

Not the highest quality from material I have seen but Ok for shop use.

I would think that getting multiple detailed pictures would give more info than trying to figure it out from a book. That would be time consuming and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can look at the pictures with expertise. Better yet, pay a expert to check the car from head to toe. You find these people in Hemmings and other magazines. From what I seen so far with the pictures, the luggage rack has wood instead of chrome strips. I don't think you can go wrong with that car for the asking price.

The 34 Plymouth PE at the asking price of $10K seems to be a bargain and appears to be kept well with the stated recent upgrades of New w/w tires, exhaust system and battery. New electrical harness.

This would seem to indicate an owner that is keeping his car in good repair with the only real issue being whether the body parts are solid.

An interested buyer could request further pictures of the undercarriage.

I bought a 34 Plymouth PE in Ontario last year and it probably is in no better shape than this one for sale in Philedelphia for which I paid considerably more.

The front fenders with the dual side mounts I don't think were ever reproduced in fiberglass. From the pictures there appears to be some minimal rust showing on the underside of the sidemount fender which would not be there on fiberglass. The car seems well outfitted with the dual horns, front bumper guards and the brightwork looks impecable.

Of course the asking price is considerably more than that of the 34 Plymouth PE from Philedelphia in the earlier post. More pictures of the interior, motor and undercarriage would help to further evaluate whether value for money can be had. Perhaps you can post them if the owner provides them now or in April when available.

I suppose I could get photos and numbers before I go see the car but that will take over a month since the owner is out and about for the winter. Bringing a person out of Hemmings is pretty unlikely as this car is an 8 hour drive from an international airport but I'll check my March copy and see if there is anybody close by to "no where" :o For the time being I will search for some factory manuals as I think they'll come in handy even if I don't get this particular car.

I did contact the owner of the Plymouth and asked for undercarriage photos but was declined. I am guessing this is because they've gone through a hard winter but I needed more info on the car.

Cheers, Steve

Steve,

I must be getting dementia, but someone has sent me photos of that car before and I was trying to think of who it was. They went there are took photos for me and for the life of me I can't remember who it was.

I'll trawl through my emails and see if I can find it because if I can you can ask them directly about the car.

Ian

From the pictures posted and other comments this is what I see :

Running board looks as though it may have a cover over it ( or it may be the photo due to lack of light ). I agree that there is a bit of rust under the front guard, may only be surface. I believe the front guards are steel as I too don't believe the ones with spare tyres were reproduced but I could be wrong. Panels look straight and there is no rust in the bonnet where it meets the radiator shell. Chrome work on the radiator shell looks really good ( this would cost $1500 to $2000 to get replated ) so a good one there. The headlights and horns are complete as with the tail lights, bumbers and luggage rack. Yes the wooden bits on the luggage rack have been added as the chrome ones were only thin and often would flatten out if something heavy was placed on them. You can buy half oval brass moldings, braze thread to them, shape the ends and get them plated to correct that if you want to. The rear D windows also look complete but check for rust.

It appears to be a complete good original car. Interior shots, engine etc needed but not bad at all from initial photos.

Hi Ian,

I figured the "rust" was strands of fibreglass. I suppose rust is better if it hasn't gotten through to the other side yet. I can't believe the cost to replate something, I was under the impression that they just hang the parts on wires and it plates itself but I guess I could be wrong on that too. :D I was at a copper refinery a couple years ago which did something similar but at a much larger scale and it was quite interesting.

If you check your Private Messages you'll see who I got the photos from. I am sure you have bumped into him on this or another forum, I think you may have mentioned him to me at one point. He is going to get him in contact with the previous owner so I can determine if this car is a trailer queen or a mile eater. I'm hoping the latter.

Cheers, Steve

I had a good chat with the previous owner / restorer this afternoon and got a bit more information about the Burgundy car. Believe it or not this car was restored 25-30 years ago when he was in his late teens. The engine got a basic rebuild back then including rings, bearings, and seals and was only taken on one 20 mile trip so it never even got broken in. He said he only ran it once a year since then to drive it around in his yard because he never plated it.

There are a couple issues with the car but I wanted to ask about one in particular. He said it has a persistent rear main seal leak and he also said something else rather strange that I suspect is related. He actually brazed over the engine crankcase vent to seal the engine as he thought it was a "hole" in the engine. Do these cars have enough blow-by to blow out the rear main seal? He said the seal is felt and can be changed by removing the oil pan and rear main bearing. If I were to get the car would it be best to put a dump pipe on the engine or re-plumb it to a PVC valve type system?

Regards, Steve

There could be some blow by, especially with very low mileage the rings may not have seated. But unless he also put a non-breather oil filler cap on the pressure should not build up in the crankcase. You will want to either re-install the draft tube to get some cross flow ventilation in the crankcase or install a PCV system. Vintage Power Wagons stocks the stuff the military used for PCV in the 40s and that would not look too out of place.

I've never heard of a felt rear main seal. Unless Dodge is radically different than Plymouth, it came with a rope seal. It is kind of sort of possible to replace it with the engine in the car. I was able to get the leak on my '33 under reasonable control once by doing that. Had to remove the flywheel if I recall correctly. I think that Best Gaskets has a neoprene replacement for the rope seal. Might be worth looking into.

• 1 month later...

Well, I got a couple photos that are in focus. The battery cable is sitting on the engine because the car does not have a battery box. I should be getting some serial numbers late this week, owner is out of town again. How long are these cars nose to tail? The rear bumper looks like it sticks out 3 feet past the end of the car and it makes the other cars look tiny.

Cheers, Steve

post-98704-143142475224_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475145_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475155_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475165_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475175_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475185_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475195_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475204_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142475213_thumb.jpg

Hi Steve,

These car are quite long but I think the one your looking at has the rear bumper extended for a optional trunk ( I've attached a photo of Ken Sobel's car bumper set up ) Look at the tail light and a few inches past that is the end of the body. The rest between that and where the bumper is attached is to allow for the trunk. ( and spare tyre ). Any idea of price yet ? First impression is that it look great and mainly complete. Can't wait to see some more photo's......in focus ones too !!!! LOL

Looking promising.

Keep us updated

Ian

post-44589-143142475269_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian,

The asking price is $18500. The internet has a very good memory so that's as much as I'd like to say about that here. It turns out the license plate on the car is from the last time it was on the road legally, back in 1959! The previous owner began restoration in 1978. I should be getting some paperwork including the build sheet at the end of this week for review, hopefully it is legible.

Do you feel that this car could have the wrong rear bumper on it or could be missing the trunk? I don't seem to be able to understand the bumper details shown in my parts books.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve,

I think it has the right set up but for the optional trunk. Maybe trunk is missing or ordered with the trunk and it never arrived. I don't know the exact set up but potentially remove the extensions on the chassis and pull the rear bumper in.

I'll have a look in my book tonight when I get home and see if there is anything I can find for you.

Looking at the car and condition ( looks as though its been cared for ) I would say its reasonable pricing for an every day driver. Cant tell 100% without being up close though.

Something to work on and still drive it.

Ian

Steve,

My parts book says " Trunk assembly includes rack and bumper extension " ( side and rear mounted tyres have different numbers ).

So I'm thinking maybe yours was set up for the trunk and rear mounted tyres hence the huge gap between the body and rear bumper.

Food for thought !

Ian

I wouldn't say it is mounted too far from the car, it just seems to have a large bow in the bumper. You could stand between it and the car. One of the previous photos shows a rubber plug in the back of the car so I guess something has been removed from the car.

Some details on the first sale and first owner of the car came in today. It appears that the battery is out of warranty. :|

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=52568968

post-98704-143142478333_thumb.jpg

Steve

I wouldn't say it is mounted too far from the car, it just seems to have a large bow in the bumper. You could stand between it and the car. One of the previous photos shows a rubber plug in the back of the car so I guess something has been removed from the car.

Some details on the first sale and first owner of the car came in today. It appears that the battery is out of warranty. :|

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=52568968

[ATTACH=CONFIG]244129[/ATTACH]

Steve

What can you tell me about the instruction book lower right corner. I have several and all un-dated as Im sure yours is as well.

Steve,

I may be able to help you with the plug you saw at the back of the car as mine had one too. when the car is equipped with side mount spare tyres the hole in the back of the car wasn't used as this is where the central mount went through the body for the single spare tyre mount. This hole was plugged with a push in plug and painted over. I had mine steel filled when the body was painted.

Ian

I have not seen the car in person so I don't know anything about the book. The guy who had it front 1978 up to last year did the restoration so it may have been something he bought over those years but the condition of the other paperwork could make it original.

Steve

Having both I can say the difference between the two books is that the instruction book is by far a more condensed version of the vehicles mechanics. More intended for salesman possibly to sell the vehicle to prospective buyers.

Have them for Plymouth and Dodge

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking for a car, I decided that the most recent car was too far from my original budget. If anybody wants it it is in Kapuskasing, Ontario, and I can give you Rosaire's phone # to talk to him about it. He tells me he has 34 cars up there and he's been very professional although I've never met him in person. Driving this car from Chicago to Kap would have been an epic journey. http://binged.it/1s8tjeQ

1934 Dodge's don't seem to come up for sale enough. :| The 1934 Hupmobile has a similar look along with double suicide doors and I've found a few fossilized versions for sale at 5 grand. The final bill would be the same but it seems like it would be more fun to have a car I rebuilt.

I will keep you posted.

Steve

Hi Steve - Just came from a swap meet in Rockton Ontario - near Hamilton.There was a nice '34 Dodge 4dr sedan with twin side mounts and a trunk rack for sale. Blue over black. All the hard to find bits were there except the chrome wear strips on the trunk rack. Paint is decent for a driver. Interior had been redone some time in the past - not original but serviceable Most of the chrome is pretty good - rear quarter window frames could stand replating but really not that bad. Starbursts on the wheels are kind of sloppy and the hub caps look original but in decent shape. Garnish moldings are in original unrefinished condition showing the appropriate wear. Owner was not available so I didn't get a look at the motor. Car is a Canadian build by the serial #. No price on the tag but I have a phone number if you want to PM me. Really a very pretty car - ram mascot is nice and the body looks to be straight and solid.

Hope this helps you find what you're looking for.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the details on the car. It sounds alright but I think I've lost my mind. I've conditionally purchased a Hupmobile and will finalize the purchase when I find an acceptable shipper. http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/hupmobile//1647152.html?printable=1

I think I will need to take a shovel to the factory to dig up parts...none appear to be available.

Steve

Hi Steve - Congratulations on a really neat purchase. Hope you're able to arrange transportation. Finding parts will indeed be a challenge but in spite of the rough appearance it looks like most of it is there. Yeah the inside is ratty but it would have to be done anyway and there should be enough left of the original material for patterns. Once it's done you won't meet yourself coming down the street, you'll get to answer lots of questions and meet a lot of interesting people:) Have fun!