FOR SALE: 1940 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe *SOLD*

Matt Harwood

*SOLD*

This car is owned by a friend of mine and a well-known member of the old car hobby who is selling it to make room for some new additions to his collection. He's owned it for more than 10 years, with it being one of the first old cars he ever acquired. It was a fresh, 100-point restoration right before he bought it and has won all the major awards such a car can win, including a CCCA Premier and Cadillac-LaSalle Club Senior. In the time that he's owned it, it has been a reliable and favorite tour car, so it is no longer a 100-point vehicle, but it's still quite likely a 90+ point car, particularly after a fresh chassis detailing. I have pre-restoration photos of it and it was a solid, clean, complete car and was treated to a no-expenses-spared restoration (obviously). So yeah, it's really, really nice.

Harbor Mist Gray is the car's original color, and I believe the two-tone blue and cream leather interior is correct as well, although I can't find documentation on the trim code (27A7) in a Google search, so maybe someone can help me out there. At any rate, the look is spectacular and I simply love the steely gray paint on this big ragtop. Fit and finish are excellent and despite being driven on tour, the paint's condition is very impressive with minimal signs of use. The chrome and stainless trim was also restored to show condition with the rest of the car and remains excellent throughout, including the big Trippe lights up front which really make for an imposing front-end.

The interior was fully restored using period-correct leathers that aren't quite as soft as we use today but exactly right for 1940. I have photos of the original interior and the new patterns match the original stuff exactly. It shows some signs of wear that most folk would call "comfort marks" but they do nothing to diminish the car's appeal and perhaps even enhance it. The gauges were restored, the dash was repainted, the chrome was re-plated, and even the original AM radio is fully functional. It's possible that the steering wheel was re-cast, but looking at it up close, I'm kind of inclined to think it's a really nice original piece; it's hard to say. It looks older than 10 years but certainly not 70. The back seat is hardly used and the trunk is finished using correct materials and carries a full-sized matching spare. The black canvas top is the perfect choice, complete with red leather piping, and the vacuum-actuated mechanism works like it should, stowing the top quickly.

The 346 cubic inch Cadillac V8 has many fans, myself among them. Smooth, quiet, and torquey, it makes for a fantastic tour car. There are some in the CCCA who deride everyone driving these '40s Cadillacs on tour, but the simple truth is that they simply work better than almost anything else of the period. It starts quickly with a nice V8 burble from the exhaust and runs down the highway at 65 MPH without breaking a sweat. They're insanely durable, parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive, and you'll almost feel guilty driving this car simply because it's so modern-feeling. The engine bay remains nicely detailed and showing almost no signs of use, a testament to the current owner's attention to detail. The steering, brakes, and 3-speed manual transmission were all rebuilt and work properly, with this car tracking like a cruise missile on the road. The chassis shows some signs of use, but as I said, a recent detailing erases years of driving and could make this car a contender again. The tires are recent BFG Silvertown wide whites on sparkling red wheels with correct hubcaps.

A simply gorgeous car that is an incomparable tour machine that may still be capable of 2nd place finishes at any show it attends, perhaps even a first place at the local level. There are plenty of '41 convertible coupes running around, but when was the last time you saw a '40? Only 200 were built and only 12 are listed in any of the major club rosters. Available for $99,900 and we're always open to reasonable offers. Thanks for reading!

post-31138-143142349493_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349495_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349497_thumb.jpg

post-31138-1431423495_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349502_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349505_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349507_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349509_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349511_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349513_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349516_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143142349518_thumb.jpg