A Brace of Breeze Carbs

1910Hupp

Stan Howe sent me this photo of mine (On the left) and Phil's Breeze Carbs in his shop for rebuilding.

Not surprisingly he feels that he won't have two Breezes in his shop at the same time again in a hurry. Interestingly enough they look slightly different- so must have changed slightly throughout production -Karl

post-60857-143142347302_thumb.jpg

I've owned four Breeze carbs for the early Hupp, and each one has been slightly different, so yes, Karl, I agree that there were some ongoing changes.....there's a good bit of negative criticism about their performance, but the one on my car has always worked well, the carb just needs to be flooded for starting purposes....and the one on the car is the only one left.....I bought one of the carbs just to get the "Breeze" inline strainer, which I believe is more rare than the carb....

I suspect the size difference is just perspective ie the carb on the right is closer than mine on the left.

Certainly the carburettor bolts up to the inlet manifold with everything lining up perfectly. Also if my carburettor was much bigger it wouldn't fit on the manifold as the bottom intake would foul on the J portion of the manifold

G,day Huppers. No doubt David could tell us the variations that apply to the Breeze from his booklet. We find todays setting may need a slight change of main jet needle setting tomorrow ,on the other hand it may be good for months. The Schwebler people were aware of this and produced a replacement manifold for their carburettor adaption to the Hup 20. John Burke saw one at Bakersfield last year but tuff luck for us it had sold early on. The Breeze carbs had been replaced on our cars with Kingston and Holly units and the manifolds cut off. This may have been so that the Breeze bowl could be dropped down without taking off the carb. In making the Breeze work on our engines again, after replacing the manifold I made six different venturi tubes and tried each one with different air valve springs. I even made air valves of different weight and tried them on the road before a satisfactory result was achieved. Little wonder the first thing Hup repairers did was turf off the belly plate. Edgar's research can probably tell us the time of the major changes, like side draught over updraught ( if any of these were fitted after the first few cars) and the larger air valve assembly. Bill Cuthbert wisely confided to me that it is unreliable to date Hup from the teens by mechanical parts as when a supplier delivered to Hup and the consignment was placed in the stores. the assemblers tended to use the easier to get parts first so when older supply was discovered in the stores these cars were sent to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa . Certainly Buick and others did the same. .By the way ,the interesting little cast marks on various components tell who the supplier was. I did have a full listing of these trade marks and who made what parts for Hup, Some are common to Whiting and Little, so if your clutch hub or conrod is different to your neighbours this is why. Keep Hupping along. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia.

G,day to all, Sorry Karl but I seem to have misplaced my list of the trade marks . Yes I do know the cast H designation but what it means I cant say at the moment. Are you coming over for the Hup rally starts 31 October in Ballarat. Talk to your neighbours George Page and Alf O Sulivan. They are sure to be coming over. Happy hupping Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

• 6 months later...