1930 Model A cracked head

mrcvs

I have a 1930 Model A in which I poured a small amount of radiator fluid into the radiator, having assumed water is in the radiator (just purchased it, but did not know for sure if water or if some radiator fluid was in there already -- smelled faintly of radiator fluid. Thought it would be enough, as winters usually don't get super cold for prolonged periods of time. Of course, the coldest temperatures in twenty years last week. You guessed it. The head cracked, at the very least! I did not start the car after pouring fluid in it as I did not have the key with me at the time, so what other damage might I have caused? I don't think the radiator is damaged, but I don't know for sure.

Any ideas where to get an ORIGINAL head, and any ideas as to what damage this might cause throughout?

Where are you located? There is probably another Model A owner nearby who may have a spare one available. I am about 99% sure I have an extra one in my spare Model A Parts in the garage. If you don't find one close by, send me a PM and we can talk about a deal, since I no longer own a Model A.

Where is your head cracked? I had a head that had a couple of hairline cracks between the water jacket openings and used the head with no adverse effects. I suspect they were expansion cracks. If the cracks lead to a stud hole then you might have some leakage. When using metal clad head gaskets ,remember to seal any unclad openings adjacent to the water ports with a good Permatex gasket compound so as to prevent seeping through the gasket material on the sides of the block. Makes for a messy engine when they leak.