Columbia vacuum control switch questions

Beltfed

Have the vacuum switch which is mounted on the steering box for the Columbia rear end and have it working reasonably well off the '38. Does someone have a pic of this unit installed with the vacuum feed line and control cable(s). All I got was the unit and the output vacuum lines. Thanks.

post-88682-143142346532_thumb.jpg

post-88682-143142346506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beltfed
Screwed it up (see edit history)

Thanks to both of you for the pics. I now have an ideal of how the plumbing goes. I don't have the speedo changer. Matter of fact, that's the first one I've ever seen. I've never been close to a stock Zephyr of any year except mine, as I don't know of any in my area (East Tennessee). Have seen several that have been street rodded but they all lost the power train and engine for a big block Chevy.

I joined the club hoping to get a directory of owners but have never seen it.

Does anyone know where to source this speedo changer? Thanks

After an email from Peecher I called John Connelly at his Columbia rear end shop trying to source the speedo changer. In talking with him I found out that I don't need one. I have two speedometer drives. One is on the drive shaft right behind the tranny. This is the one that was hooked up to the speedometer. The other is on the passenger side of the rear axle. If you hook that one up then the speedo changer is not needed according to him. That will save me about $300.00. I found a very long heavy duty speedo cable in the trunk with one end of the center section twisted off. I'll try to get that repaired and be one step closer.

I may be wrong, but the rear axle drive was used on 1938 cars. 39 and on used the drive shaft speedo mounted unit. 86H 4010 was the rear axle unit and 96H 4010 for 39 and thru 41 when Lincoln fully adopted the Borg Warner overdrive units. John Connelly could confirm this with a phone call. Ron, your 40 LC uses the later unit.

John, you sound right on. Why I have two places to get the drive to the speedometer is another mystery I'll never solve. This car has been "screwed" with so much I don't know what is right or wrong. I just know you will see me in either of two places. Driving down the road in a 1938 Zephyr coupe with a poop eating grin on my face or in a pine box.

Its my understanding that if the car left the factory with a Columbia the speedometer takeoff was on the axle housing. If the Columbia was dealer installed then the speedometer changer was used on the firewall because there was no speedometer takeoff on the axle. Who knows whats really correct but Ive seen 39 Zephyrs both ways.