Interest in New Hupmobile 20 Intake Manifold?

MochetVelo

I'm researching the re-casting of the Hupmobile Model 20 intake manifold. This has been done in the past. Karl bought one from the USA, and kindly put me in touch with the seller. They (having sold their Hupp years ago) are trying to dig up more information about where it came from. Further, I got a quote of $1675 today from an old-time pattern maker for making a new casting pattern. I know an iron foundry near me in Pennsylvania that can do the actual casting reasonably. Anyway, the cost would drop according to the number sold. I know of myself and one other fellow. Anyone else interested?

Phil

Phil, what are they worth, used of course? I see them once in a while in flea markets but they seem to go unsold. I know of one vendor that has one and has had it for a long time. Of course the Hupp carb is another topic seems like $600 off the car to $1000 restored. --Bob

G,day to all . Phil ,have a think about the hot air tube cast in to the original Hup manifold. If you are not running in heavy frost or snow this hot air is not needed. and you will have eliminated it by dropping the plug out of the bottom of the Breeze. Perhaps the pattern maker would discount the price if he didn't have to make a core box to produce this hot air passage. There must be originals around and even if cut off the missing base bend can be fabricated or cast as a small piece and welded or braised back on cheaper than producing the entire manifold. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

Yes, Max, it's certainly an option to produce the bottom bend of the manifold only. That is, the part below the carburetor mounting bracket. That would work in my case, I think. I wonder if that would satisfy those seeking new manifolds? Many vintage cars pre-heated the fuel mixture, I suppose because the gas wasn't of dependable quality. Also, if a new manifold were cast, would an "simplified/improved" design such as you suggest be acceptable?

Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
The Model 20 intake manifold project continues. I tracked down and hope to soon receive the patterns for a Model 20 intake manifold. I'll have to arrange for the casting myself, but I think our local foundry can do it. I will keep you informed.

Phil

Thanks Phil -I have patterns to cast the exhaust manifold if any one requires one of these as well -Karl

• 1 month later...

The core patterns for the Model 20 intake manifold arrived today. The red pattern is the one I had made. The patternmaker first made the core in wood, then cast it in resin. Here are the patterns I have now:

post-52500-143142547419_thumb.jpg

Next, I'll take them to the foundry to see if they can cast it. Stay tuned.

Phil

post-52500-143142547414_thumb.jpg

The manifold pattern is now at the foundry, so I'm just waiting to see how it comes out. They didn't see any problems, though making the cores may take extra time, as they are blown. That is, the sand mixture is blown into the core mold instead of pushed in manually. I ordered six copies, and I'm still estimating about $250 each. It may take several weeks... or several months. I'm hoping for weeks.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I got the first three manifolds today. The foundry will cast a couple each week. They are un-machined, of course, but look good. I can't visually check the inner dividing wall, but it seems airtight. I'll have a price when they are done.

Phil

post-52500-143142607138_thumb.jpg