Chrome Bezel - headlight or instument panel - very stylish

Tom Burtch

Looks so familiar, but not sure what I have here....

I thought this was a 1951 Studebaker headlight bezel, but have found that it isn't. The styling step between the openings and overall shape does not match the Studebaker.

Overall length is about 14 3/16; width is 8 5/16 with the large opening about 7 1/8 diameter (could fit a sealed beam headlight and that may be what mislead me) and the smaller opening about 2 5/16 diameter.

I'm quite sure it is an automotive part and likely American, but possibly British. Maybe dash/instrument panel trim if not for around a headlight? It's a die cast part and the only identification is number BS4001A cast near the large opening. Anyone recognize it?

Thanks, Tom

post-63775-143142346357_thumb.jpg

post-63775-143142346343_thumb.jpg

post-63775-143142346349_thumb.jpg

post-63775-143142346353_thumb.jpg

It could fit a 50 Studebaker. I sold a bunch of these type bezels or atleast the studebaker ones. As I remember there was a difference each year and possibly even between Champion and Commander. The hook at the top would seem right for the headlight bezel idea. I don't remember if these had the Studebaker number on them or just a casting production number which would seem to be a closer match to the BS4001A. The studebaker number would have been a six digit number probably starting with 2. Good luck.