RARE 1939 4 Door Convertible Ford Deluxe flat head 8

Guest lbrhll

We are helping my Grandmother sell this vehicle. We have moved it from her property to our automotive repair shop. It is running like a champ and is a quick fun ride.

This car is rare. Only about 2500 made. Very few 4 door out there. Interior and paint color are original.

We will accept serious offers.

This is an unrestored car.

512-680-0811

post-98529-143142345454_thumb.jpg

post-98529-143142627953_thumb.jpg

Edited by lbrhll
update (see edit history)

"Old Cars Price Guide" is often available on newsstands,

and is one of the most widely used pricing guides for antique cars.

They give prices for 6 different conditions of cars--everything from

a derelict car useful only for parts, to a perfect trailered show car

capable of winning a national award.

There is also pricing available on the internet by NADA at www.nada.com.

Their pricing tends to be higher. In the preface to their printed book,

they acknowledge that fact, explaining that their prices are for original

(unrestored) cars, which are often more desirable in collectors' eyes for

any given condition.

John,

Thanks for the guidance. I have tried NADA but unfortunately it did not help with the 4 door convertible.

I will run into town this week and pick up the old car price guide.

I appreciate your help.

NADA: but remember that these values are for a running, driving car, and are typically substantially higher than actual sale prices in the opinions of many users

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1939/Ford/91A/4-Door-Convertible-Sedan/Values

You should certainly review a copy of Old Cars Price Guide, and also take their prices with a grain of salt

Remember that the current economy also limits the resale value of all but the most expensive - high-end cars !

Also note that RETAIL frequently implies a sale by a licensed dealer who also offers a warranty, a place of business, limited repairs -

this is not typically the price for a sale "by-owner", especially for a non-operating car.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

"this is not typically the price for a sale "by-owner", especially for a non-operating car. "

Marty,

Don't intend to steal this thread, but this question may be helpful to the seller & others. Is there a decent general rule of thumb for deducting a certain percentage for an in-op vehicle? Example: Let's say according to OCPG, this Ford is a number 3 car, but as stated, it is in-op. Could one deduct X% for the in-op?

Any seller who would offer a car for sale without at least trying to get it running is doing themselves a huge disservice. I wouldn't pay more than half the guidebook value for a car that doesn't run, but it depends a lot on the car, and my budget and poor mechanic skills prevents me taking chances on an in-op, anyway. A '57 Bel Air convertible, a desirable body style with ample replacement parts, wouldn't be as problematic as a less-desirable body style with a drivetrain that might need very expensive repairs (e.g., a V-12 Packard sedan).

"this is not typically the price for a sale "by-owner", especially for a non-operating car. "

Marty,

Don't intend to steal this thread, but this question may be helpful to the seller & others. Is there a decent general rule of thumb for deducting a certain percentage for an in-op vehicle? Example: Let's say according to OCPG, this Ford is a number 3 car, but as stated, it is in-op. Could one deduct X% for the in-op?

The question of WHY it doesn't run is the most important. Did a head gasket leak and rust a cylinder solid?

Or does it only need a bit of fuel in a carburetor, and a good battery and a mechanic to push the starter button ??

Or, was it put away with only water in it, and a surprise freeze crack the block?

Or, was it put away with fuel in the tank, no stabilizer in the fuel, and the whole fuel system is a mess?

From less than $100 to get it running, to ?? what does a good rebuilt engine cost for this car? Plus R&R and sorting ??

Edit: I see the OP states the engine rotates, but an engine that sat for a long time can have stuck rings, no compression and a lot of other potentially expensive problems

Greg L

Edited by GLong (see edit history)

I want to see the asking price before I find fault with the small details of a very desirable automobile.

If I had the disposable cash, (and the car collections), that some of you have.... I wouldn't bat an eye at this car.

Its like the worst house in the best neighbor hood. No body does sweat equity anymore.

My 2 cts.

Bill H

Great responses!

This FORUM seems to attract serious expertise - and the above responses are a great guideline toward reasonable decisions.

Interesting - especially when asking $85,000 and when compared to the restored black example which sold through Barrett-Jackson with a sale price of $30,240.

I guess anybody can ask anything they want, and "Let the Buyer Beware", hoping that somebody lets emotion get in the way of research.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest lbrhll

This car is running. Not being an antique car buff as my Grandfather was, I was surprised at how fun this car is to drive. It's got a definite kick to it. Thanks to those who helped.