New guy with 1939 Lincoln Zephyr

Guest wishbone

Guest wishbone

Hi all, I recently bought a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr 4 dr. sedan. I'm pretty excited to get started on getting it to driver status. Currently it has brand new interior and supposedly a rebuilt motor. But looking underneath it I see years of built up grease, oil, and dusty sludge. The engine may be "rebuilt" but the rest of the mechanicals and the body definitely need attention.

The previous owner had new interior and wiring installed, but did nothing about the dents, wrinkles, and poor weather stripping of the rest of the car.

I'll be hitting you up for advice and direction to be sure. I've never owned a Lincoln and have zero experience with V12's. My experience has been predominantly in the flat head six arena.

cheers, E

Hi all, I recently bought a 1939 Lincoln Zephyr 4 dr. sedan. . . . . The engine may be "rebuilt" but the rest of the mechanicals and the body definitely need attention.

cheers, E

Congrats on the Zephyr. These are great cars with very interesting history. Read up on Edsel Ford. . .

On the engine, of the 12 or so pre-War cars I've owned (not Zephyrs), 10 had "rebuilt" engines, or so said the seller. Of those 10, zero were actually rebuilt. It seems that the definition of "rebuilt" varies from full bearings-rebore-valves down to "change the oil and new spark plugs".

Unless the seller provided you with documented proof who did the rebuild and exactly what was done, do not assume that the engine is ready to cruise. At the very least, drop the oil pan, clean the sludge and inspect the bearings. And if you have the aptitude, just take the whole thing apart for inspection. If you are lucky, maybe it really was rebuilt and all you need to do is put it back together. If not, this could save you a lot of grief down the road.

Happy Motoring.

--Scott

Welcome to the world of underpowered v-12s. The engine is a piece of work to say the least. There are a number of good people here who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. Just ask and your head scratching will subside. It will be a real experience as the knowledge of you and your car buddies will be severely tested with this car. I love it and hope you do also. Good luck!